News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Project Mars

Started by InspecteurZ, September 07, 2005, 10:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

InspecteurZ

Hello. I'm going to build my own Sega Mars/Neptune. That's a Megadrive + 32x in one (i'm using a genesis, but it's the same :P ).

The project is currently "on hold". I'll finish it when i have some time (but i'm going to finish it for sure!).

Project Status:

Preliminary tests done. That include:
- Use only an AC adapter to power both Genesis and 32X.
- 32x don't need to be powered if it's only used as a passthrough for genesis/megadrive carts.
- ALL the insides of the 32x fits in the megadrive. It can be closed with 32x in her guts. Some parts of the case/shell needs to be cut or removed.

The preliminary tests indicate that it's possible to do the mod. So, I started the work.

- Original Megadrive cartridge slot removed. 32x pins soldered (with wires) to the holes from cartridge slot. I tested it and it worked, but it seems some wires need to be fixed as the machine stop working if I touch/bend them. I'll have to review all wires, but they are 64 of them. That are 128 conflictive points (192 if you count underboard). I'll do it "tomorrow" ;)
- JP1 to JP4 "moved" to back of the board so I can add country switches later.
- Cartridge entrance modified to allow 32x carts to be plugged.

To do:

- Connect genesis AC input with 32x AC input. Add a "Enable 32x" switch in the back of console (to save power in case that game inserted don't need the 32x).  
- Connect genesis AV Out to 32x AV In. Move the 32x AV Out to the back of console. I'll left both outputs (genesis and 32x) so I can use genesis games without powering the 32x.
- Add country/languaje switches to the back.
- Add a fan/cooler. I'm going to put it over the genesis one.
- Put all together ;)
- Interchange genesis cartridge cover with the 32x one (they are almost same size).
- Repaint the case. Maybe I'll use some of my brother's art on it ;)

I'll thank if you can evaluate my project.

Thats my own:

PROS:

- Only one AC adapter.
- No need of "bridge" cables.
- Small size.
- Relatively easy mod.
- You'll get a unique machine!

CONS:

- Power Base Converter can't be used (Not sure of this).
- A little heavier than before (but less than MD+32X).
- A lot of wires to solder.

I'll post a complete "how to" with photos when it's complete.

PS: If someone has done this before, please let me known.

Lost Monkey

I've tried it before, (in a 2600 case) but never got the 32X fully working with the wire length I was using... I assume that the length I had (about 6 inches) was what caused the problem because I resoldered everything 4 times and checked and rechecked....  

... the project is on hold... (about 4 years now)  ;)

InspecteurZ

My wires are about 8 cm (3 inches) and it seems to work. Surely there was the problem.