Making dual-joysticks / "twinsticks".. ?

Started by o-o, August 26, 2005, 11:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

o-o

Ive been thinking about making a sort of "twinsticks" / *dual-flightstick controller*
possibly using something like:
Xbox/PS2 Pelican Tomahawk flightsticks (these any good?) or other ambidextrous type. 
or possibly something like PC Quickshot GenX 500 and 500L(lefthand version) flightsticks.

Primarily NOT for the purpose of making same as Saturn/Dreamcast "Twinsticks" controller (though that could be added as a secondary function), but to mimic a PS2/Xbox controller, to be useable on all/any games (particulary thinking of games like MechAssault, Crimson Skies, Gunvalkyrie, ...).

Probably by:
Connecting the buttons and main joystick(wires) of flightstick#2 to (or instead-of) some of the buttons *and the secondary analog/thumb stick* of flightstick#1 (hopefully still retaining the full regular functionality of flightstick#1 [or both flightsticks] as a solo flightstick [when needed], maybe by using a switch(s), and jack/connector cable between the two flightsticks..)

Anyone else interested in finding a way to do this and have any ideas?

SAM

The ...

Xbox/PS2 Pelican Tomahawk flightsticks
PC Quickshot GenX 500 and 500L(lefthand version) flightsticks

... are no good.

You got a little better for using Saturn or DC VO sticks.

For the best result, I suggest you should use the following parts for the project.

Sanwa JLJ-PL2-8V x2
Sanwa OBSF-40RG x1
Sanwa OBSF-24 x1

http://www.sanwa-d.co.jp/

These parts won't cost you more than a DC twin stick.
===================================

A PSOne/PS2 Twin stick controller can be easily built using a old grey PSOne game pad PCB. I have built a several using Saturn VO controllers for playing PS2 VO Maz.

Connect flightstick#1 to the D-pad.
Connect flightstick#2 to the four button (Triangle, Square, Circle & Cross)
Connect the Left shouder buttons to the trigger and turble of flightstick#1; Right to flightstick#2.
Connect the Start to the Start, and add a new button for select.

And you are done.

===================================

If you need to find a Saturn VO Twin Stick for this project, I have some extra.

o-o

Thanks

I was wanting something decent and.. better than DC/Saturn VO twinsticks.. (which do look pretty cheapy to me..), so those I mentioned are pretty awful?
Are there any PSX, PS2, Xbox or PC flightsticks that are (affordable and) better than the Saturn/DC sticks and those mentioned?

The parts you listed: that stick doesnt look analog though..
(is there a way of modifying those, or sticks that send both analog and digital?) I wasnt able to find or find out what the other parts you listed are.

I do want the sticks to send as dual analog.. mainly (matching Xbox and PS controllers thumbsticks.., the DC/Saturn VO type digital functionality I would like to have also [was thinking through Analog-to-Digital conversion if possible?], but analog operation is _mainly_ whats needed) to primarily be used on Xbox games..

Theres this (though the wiring/encoder would have to be switched) [Playstation SCPH1110 Twin Analog sticks]
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...item=8214452934
but I dont know the quality of it (and I wanted to be able to use a flightstick separately/centered position, without the rest of the bulk of it..)

o-o

Im still looking for info on this, or someone to discuss it with who's interested in the same thing..

Id like to do this with a pair of PC Flightsticks, and a PC Wheel/Pedal, if possible (replacing their pots with the appropriate PS2/Xbox compatible type/value if needed), using controller adapter modules like this:
http://nfg.2y.net/forum/index.php?showtopi...view=getnewpost

Using a "Y" adapter to merge the two PC flightsticks' cables (which would have direct button-to-wire pinout right?), or the PC wheel and its pedals, to a controller adapter modules 25pin connector.

There isnt much selection of PS2 or Xbox flightsticks; there is more selection of PC flightsticks  and it seems better quality could be found; if they wouldnt be too hard to modify like this.

atom

Your thinking innovatively but do these games use dual analog sticks to begin with? This will be a requirement to get the effect your looking for. If so we can tell you about how to pull this off.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

o-o

Yes.. dont most/all Xbox games use dual analog?
Left flightstick = move/strafe ; Right flightstick = look/aim : same as the dual analog thumbsticks on a regular controller. (mech and flight games would be particularly nice with the dual sticks but they could be also used with pretty much all games)

Mainly Im _not_ intending to have the Assault/Virtual-On digital Twinsticks control method.. (though I have ideas for possibly adding that functionality with some switches and analog-digital conversion; from what Ive heard it sounds possible)

Is that what you mean?

kendrick

Not to be discouraging in any way, but most of the Xbox games I play make very little use of the analog controls at all. The fighters and the RPGs that make up the bulk of my library tend to be perfectly playable with digital controls only. I'll admit up front that my gaming tastes are hardly representative, especially if you consider that the bulk of popular Xbox titles are the FPS and simulation variety.

Remember also that on the standard Xbox controller, the buttons are analog too (in that they detect how hard you hit.) So if you plan on transferring those functions to triggers or to thumb buttons on your sticks, you should consider the ability to have analog output there as well.

-KKC, loading emulators on his N-gage. Whee.

o-o

It doesnt matter if some games _can_ be played without dual analog..,
what matters is that enough (between Xbox and Playstation) can and would be suitable and interesting with this.

>
you should consider the ability to have analog output there as well.
>

Thats a good point to bring up

Finding PC flightsticks (older/gameport type) with analog sensitive buttons/wiring does seem less likely..  I hadnt thought alot about that yet, but it kind of doesnt seem like that big of a deal sofar.. for the type of games it would be used for.. that they would just default to full strength button press..  Can you think of any specifics of (nonsimulation) flying or FPS games where (all/many) analog buttons (not L/R triggers) are vital?  

It might also be possible to have a footpedal (or knob) which would let you set the voltage/"strength" to send when you press a button (simulating as if it were analog) [or pedals for simulation of needed analog buttons]?

Could the button contacts in a flightstick just be replaced with analog ones?

I was sofar going to just try to find/use a dualshock PS1 controller PCB (w/ rapidfire) [could use PS2 controller PCB instead for the analog.?] and adapt it to Xbox with a MagicBox or Dreambox adapter.

atom

QuoteYes.. dont most/all Xbox games use dual analog?
Left flightstick = move/strafe ; Right flightstick = look/aim : same as the dual analog thumbsticks on a regular controller. (mech and flight games would be particularly nice with the dual sticks but they could be also used with pretty much all games)

Mainly Im _not_ intending to have the Assault/Virtual-On digital Twinsticks control method.. (though I have ideas for possibly adding that functionality with some switches and analog-digital conversion; from what Ive heard it sounds possible)

Is that what you mean?
Yes. So what you need to do is get more information on how the XBOX controller works. I dont know how many of us have ripped apart these controllers because they were so expensive! I know I didnt but of course their are madcat ones as well and other cheapies... like I said research the net for info on how the analog sticks work on the controllers and use a multimeter. If it turns out the signal and sticks are pretty much your basic analog potentiometers then you simply need to wire the full size pc joysticks to the pcb on the xbox controller.

Ive searched for lawrences old gut swap tutorial for 10 minutes... can anyone find it?
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

o-o

I was mainly thinking of just using a PS2 controller PCB (with rapidfire hopefully) [made into a module adapter/box] instead of an Xbox controller, and then adapt it to Xbox using a Dreambox or MagicBox (would that be a bad idea?)

Then the pots in the flightsticks would just need to match what the PS2 controller can accept (as if they were its own thumbsticks)

Is the info much more available/known for PS2 controllers (analog thumbsticks)?

Thanks