*wanted* md1 av cable

Started by butane bob, August 05, 2005, 04:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butane bob

Is there anyone here (preferably in australia) that could either locate or make a model 1 megadrive/master system AV cable? I've been looking on ebay for months to no avail and am unsure where else i could get one.
Obviously if someone can make one up for me i will cover all relevent costs etc.

Cheers.

tomman

Are they really that hard to come across?  :huh:  

RGB32E

WTF!!!  All you need to make one is an 8-pin din, a cheap stereo av cable, solder, and a soldering iron.  The genesis pinout section of the GamesX site has the rest of the info!  

BTW, tomman.... are you for real?  That Genesis cable you posted a picture of is probably the most ghetto game cable I have ever seen!  Why did you sever a Genesis cable just to attach a cheap AV cable to it with tape???

tomman

Well, it was a experimental emergency solution, and after i discovered the +5V thing (Genesis is weird on this), i published my researches. And yes, that cable works! I simply took an AV cable that i don't want to destroy (that is from my DVD player!), put some old IDE ribbon cables, and with some staples i made pins to fit it into the Genesis2-style female connector of the 32X adapter cable for the Genesis 1 (i also do not want to kill that adapter, it is extremely difficult to replace).

Now that i got a old DIN-5 cable from a dead keyboard, i need to buy a extra RCA AV cable, and build a better cable.

viletim!

Next up ladies and gentlemen, mr tomman will build a genesis a/v cable from nothing but a coat hanger, a pocket calculator and some lemon juice... ;)

Seriously, what promped you to use +5v as a signal return path?

NFG

I'd just like to point out that you guys are totally insane.  

Complete nutters.

That is all.

butane bob

Cool thanks for the help.  :blink:  

tomman

My cable is lame, i know... but that is a poorman's solution.

Also, check this post to know more about these damn +5V line there.

Aidan

On many TVs and other bits of AV equipment, the ground lines are connected together. That means that Audio ground is the same as Video ground. Connecting +5V to the shield of the video, and then connecting ground to the shield of the audio gives interesting results. That is because the video and audio shields are connected together at the TV, resulting in a direct short circuit of the power regulation components in the Genesis.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

tomman

that explains why my TV make some noise, and then my Genesis crashes. I suppose that TVs should have a sort of resistors in the shields.

Aidan

Not normally, as the source is usually using the same ground reference for both audio and video. Not using the same ground reference doesn't make a lot of sense, unless you're using balanced transmission lines, when there isn't a ground reference.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

-Martin-

Next week on how to fry your Genesis...
Tomman draws schematics for a AC-DC adaptor!

tomman

Check again my AV cable thread, i built a better cable with some cheapo pieces...

Hmmm... a hamster-powered Genesis. It seems to be possible, but will not give you more than a few hours of gameplay.

Fix_Metal

QuoteI'd just like to point out that you guys are totally insane. 

Complete nutters.

That is all.
:lol:

Next week on how to fry your Genesis...
Tomman draws schematics for a AC-DC adaptor!
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: