Confused (A.K.A. Wouldn't this work?)

Started by Slermy, November 23, 2003, 09:04:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slermy

Hi, I'm fairly new to all of these video standards and want the best possible video and audio output from my Sega Genesis/Sega CD/Sega 32X combo.  Obviously RGB would be the best, but alas, I only have S-Video inputs for the time being.  My units are NTSC-U (both the Genesis and CD are model 2 if the matters).  Now I have an RGB cable for the Genesis and a SCART-to-S-Video Monster Cable and a SCART Coupler.  Now by connecting those, shouldn't I get the correct signals?  I'm aware that PAL is 50hz and NTSC is 60hz, but since the Genesis is an NTSC unit, shouldn't it be sending the right signal?  I'm probably unware of some compatability issue that can't be overcome this way.  If so, is there a way to get all of this to work?  I really wanna play Ecco: The Tides of Time (Sega CD) and Kolibri (32X) in S-Video.

Genesis RGB Cable (though when I bought it it didn't say SCART specifically)
http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/NCS-RGB05.html

SCART-to-S-video Monster Cable
http://www.monstercable.com/europe/productPage.asp?pin=1740

I have one of these too:

Weird Adapter
http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=...oducts_id=1467&

Now the above one WILL give me a picture (though the colors are VERY messed up and it looks like it's interlaced vertically?)

Thanks in advance.

Slermy

Slermy

Oops, I guess I should explain the problem.  When connecting it the way described above I get NO picture NOR sound.

Actually, I was messing with the weird adapter and can get composite video and audio out fine.  And what it looks to be is that the R, G, and B values are not alligned horizontally in the images.  Is this an easier problem to fix?  Other than that, the picture looks to be sharp and in sync.

NFG

The monster unit you've got is NOT a SCART->Svideo convertor, it's an Svideo->SCART adaptor.  The SCART connection standard allows for three video formats: Composite video, Svideo + RGB.  That monster is designed to plug into the back of your DVD (or whatever) and the SCART end into your TV.  Or vice versa - it's just a straight-through cable without componentry to change the signal.

What you're trying to do won't work because you have the wrong parts.  You'll have to buy a unit called a Chroma Encoder, they can be found for $75-100.

Guest_Slermy

Ah, I see.  Thanks.

What about the weird adapter though?  When I hook it up with a composite cable (the singe yellow plug, that is called composite right?) it works, and when I connect the S-video cable to it it almost works, the picture is fine except the R, G, and B being slightly off-set from each other.  Or is this basically a lost cause as well?  And is there a better (or cheaper) way to get what I'm trying to do besides getting a chroma encoder?

Thanks again.

Oh, and I didn't metion that I'm trying to display this on an NTSC TV as well.

Tom61

That adapter is passive as well. The reason that you're getting Composite from it is that whatever you have connected to puts Composite Video on the Composite sync pin (very common on consoles). The adapter just hooks the Composite pin to the composite jack. It's a lost cause as well. It may have a (poor) S-Video to composite converter (just a capacitor, really) inside, giving you the missalinged image. Makes since to have one built-in, since alot of Euro TVs don't have S-Video in via the SCART connector.

Slermy

Okay.  Thanks a bunch, you guys have been most helpful.