PSX Power Supply Swap

Started by Confused, July 18, 2005, 03:33:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Confused

Hey guys.

I have an early model psx (1000 series) that has a blown power supply board but otherwise is in perfect working order. Im hoping to bring it back to life by using another PSX which I just received from a mate that has a dead laser.

Problem is that the psx given to me is a late model (9000 series) and has a 5 pin header on the power supply board, where as the the old psx has a 7 pin header.

So I was wondering if anyone has a pinout for the early model supply?  
Or maybe if any old model psx owners has a spare 5 mins to pop the lid off and measure the pins for me? I would be very appreciative!

Im hoping that the extra 2 pins on the old model are doubled up voltages or grounds. Ive had no luck googling.

Thanks heaps.

Adeptus

OK, I'm not familiar with the model numbers... but is it possible to swap the CD drive from yours to your mate's?

ie, use yours as parts to fix his rather than the other way round.

Confused

Unfortunately no...  Well not easily, the laser mechanism is mounted and connected to the mother board in a different spot on the newer revision (Grrrrrr)

Swapping the top half of the case would solve that problem but the ribbon cable coming off the laser is still too short to reach the new location.

Thankyou though.

kendrick

Have a look at this link:

http://www.project-design.com/RepairParts_PS.htm

In a nutshell, I think that only some power supplies are compatible with all revisions of the PSX board. The one on the page above allows you to plug either a 5 or a 7-pin connector to it, and functions correctly. I don't think older power supplies are forward compatible, but newer ones might be backward compatible. I don't have an older, grey PSX to confirm, sorry.

Not affiliated with the site above, just using them for information. FYI, I googled 'Replacement Playstation Power' looking for reference, and a bunch of the retail sales pages have model numbers you can use for comparison. Good luck.

-KKC

Confused

Yeah I also found plenty of sites with replacement power supply�s but none have the info I need.  I was hoping to get to my psx going with bits I already have before buying a replacement supply.  

Aidan

If I get a chance, I'll check out a couple of PSX models I have lying around.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

Guest_Aidan

Busy reinstalling a laptop, so I'm not bothering to login right now...

This is the pinout that I've managed to figure out. Pin 1 is at the top (towards the laser assembly connector) of the connector. Pin 7 is at the bottom (towards the control ports on the front of the unit).

1 +3.5V - reset button pulls to ground
2 Ground
3 +3.5V standby (constantly powered)
4 Ground
5 +3.5V
6 Ground
7 +7.7V

Guest_Aidan

And from the 5pin connector on the newer models

1 +3.4v grounded by reset button
2 Ground
3 +3.5V
4 Ground
5 +7.7V

I suspect that the +3.5V line that is unswitched on the older model could probably just be connected to the existing +3.5V line. That way they've both switched, but I would be surprised if this made any difference.

Any idea why Sony implemented an unswitched line? It might have made sense if the PSX could power up the PSU, but it can't!

Confused

Aidan, thankyou very much for taking the time out and busting open a couple of PSX�s to measure voltages for me  :D

Yes my PSX is ALIVE!

Just incase you and/or anybody else is interested I connected....

PSX pin 1 to P/S Pin 1
PSX pin 2 to P/S Pin 2
PSX pin 3 to P/S Pin 3
PSX pin 4 to P/S Pin 4
PSX pin 5 to P/S Pin 3
PSX pin 6 to Left Not connected
PSX pin 7 to P/S Pin 5

I hope this power supply holds up, the old model psx draws 12W while the newer one draws 10W.  Time will tell.

Thanks again Aidan.

Aidan

No problem. Perhaps someone should add those two to the list of connectors at some point?
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]