News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

NES Mods

Started by Guest_matt, June 17, 2005, 03:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guest_matt

Hi all,

I just started modding my NES, and I have completed the lockout with toggle switch, overclock to 3.5Mhz with toggle switch, new led, new 72 pin connector, stereo sound, extended the controllers and also paintjob with window...and i was wondering if its possible..to have a LED display of the MHz the cpu is running at, because I took one of the displays from an old 486SX and was wondering how to hook it up to my NES?

Aidan

The LED displays that older computers have basically have a bunch of jumpers to set what is displayed on the front. There's a signal line, that when pulled high will display one set of jumpers, and when pulled low will display the other set of jumpers. It doesn't actually measure the frequency of the machine at all.

As the simplest mod for overclocking the NES involves putting a switch in to replace the onboard clock, you might have a little difficulty. If you have a switch with two sets of contacts, like a dual pole dual throw switch. That will have 6 connections, in the form of  two pairs.  
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

new_challenger

would it be possible to post some pics im interested in seeing what uve been up to

Guest_matt

http://ircd6.thehostbusters.com/~martin/nes.html

that is a progess page i've made for my friends with pictures and some basic information

phreak97

i ripped an led display out of an old box in the shed a few mins ago.. it has no jumpers, just a set of pins, 5v ground high ground low something something.
the second ground is to bridge between either high or low to produce the words "HI" or "LO" on the display. that's the full extent of it. i was thinking of rewiring it to say 50 and 60 for a fancy 50/60 mod. but i dont really have a donsole i want to cut a hole in atm.

DMEnduro

I know that on one of these things I had it was able to be set to the numbers you wished to have on it.

You had to hold the reset button (oh yeah while its still hooked up in the computer), and the numbers would start increasing after a few seconds. Like the HI-LO switch thing (a Turbo button on the case) you could choose between the two numbers that you previously configured.