Help Making Generic Console Cables

Started by Blaine, June 15, 2005, 08:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaine

What I'd like to do is make a generic composite cable, rf cable, s-video cable and rgb cable to use in all my systems ( So you have |console specific hookup|~|9 pin female|-|9 pin male|~|video plugs|).

So I'd have one set of each cable I'm capable of running and one set of proprietary hook ups. I know I'll have trouble with the GameCube running digital out, though.

My question is, are there any cables on the market that have all the pins in the connectors, instead of just the ones that video set up uses?

Or, is there a way for me to add pins to a connector?
If you can mod it... I'll find a way to screw it up!

viletim!

QuoteWhat I'd like to do is make a generic composite cable, rf cable, s-video cable and rgb cable to use in all my systems ( So you have |console specific hookup|~|9 pin female|-|9 pin male|~|video plugs|).

Most game systems (the exceptions being mainly from sega) use proprietary audio/video cables/sockets. Why not just mount the 9 pin female socket directly onto your game systems? That way you have ample space to mount resistors/capacitors required for RGB on some systems.

Blaine

For the most part because if I could make a generic Nintendo connector, for instance, then I'd be covered for at least 3 systems (Super NES, N64 and GameCube), with a possibility of future systems as well since Nintendo has been pretty monogomous with that connector.

Instead of having to open/cut/ and install a 9 pin connector in all three (or let's say I pick up a Super Famicom just for the hell of it, another one will have to be added).

Ditto for my Sega stuff. A generic saturn cable will work on any saturn. Not just my saturn. Shit breaks sometimes.
If you can mod it... I'll find a way to screw it up!

TJ_Kat

I got some nintendo s-video cables from lik-sang.com, and they appear to have all 12 pins inside the connector.