JAP-SCART to EURO-SCART conversion worked, but...

Started by YourselF, November 17, 2003, 11:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YourselF

Hello community, I got a problem with my modified SCART-Cable.

Well after the conversion of my SCART-cable, the picture quality is quite good (before the conversion I had virtually no picture at all), but the picture itself behaves weird.
The colors are correct, but the screen is frayed, not very stable (the very upper and the very lower part of the screen are jittering) and the image is not...well complete (there are round-shaped holes in the borders of the image, which are moving slowly downwards). Moreover the picture isn't completely black (when it's supposed to be), there are two stripes (each about 2 inches wide which stretch across the whole width of the screen) which are kind of gray instead.

If you wish, I can post some screenshots, if that's of any help.

Any ideas?

My configuration:

Nintendo Gamecube (PAL) connected with
an orginal Nintendo RGB-Scart-Cable (PAL) connected with
a modified Euro-SCART-Cable (according to instructions given in this forum) connected with
a XRGB-2 plus connected with
a CRT LG Studioworks 900B

Thanks in advance,

YourselF.

Excuse my english, but I'm from Germany ;-)

matt

HunterX

If you get this to work, please let me know. Anybody interested in building one for me? ;-)

cyberna

I made my JPN to PAL RGB adapter using this schematics:

Signal Euro (socket) Jap (plug)

Red 15 15
Red Ground 13 13
Green 11 19
Green Ground 9 17
Blue 7 20
Blue Ground 5 18
Sync 20 9
Sync Ground 17 7
Left Audio 6 5
Left Ground 4 3
Right Audio 2 1
Right Ground 4 3
Ground 21 21

Any pins not mentioned are not used - it does not matter if they are connected as long as they do not interfere with the above connections.

I don�t remember if the Right/left audio pin (for japanese RGB) is messed.

I made mine to use all my PAL videosystems and they work pretty well... 50-60Hz. I have never used D-terminal, S-Video or composite cables so... don�t ask me... I only use RGB...

I�m have used the XRGB-2+ succesfully with:

-SS JPN modded
-SS PAL modded
-PSX PAL modded
-PS2 PAL modded
-NGC PAL
-MD 1 PAL modded
-SNES PAL modded

I�m using a CRT LG FLATRON 795+ (50-60Hz compatible)

The problems, I have, are:

-The colors are a bit washed... maybe I should be using better cables or making a better adapter...
-I can�t use PAL games in full screen mode (sorry but I have used the buttons in my monitor to maximize the screen and it�s more or less like using a TV). A good example for this is the PAL version of FFX... crappy PAL versions...

Excuse my English too, but I�m Spanish...  :P  

cyberna

Here you have a pic of the adaptor, it�s ugly but it works pretty well and I have only spend 1� to build it... those two cables (red and blue) are ground signals, the main cable only had 10 smaller cables so I had to add two more...

And a pic from a JPN SS game, usign EUR-Scart cables... in my monitor...

The image is a bit washed but it works pretty well...

Richter X

All I can say is WOW! Can you get more screens of the XRGB2 in action?

cyberna

Of course, here you have some new pics:

XENOSAGA PS2 NTSC 60Hz
--------------------------------

METAL GEAR SOLID 2 SUBSTANCE PS2 PAL 50Hz
---------------------------------------------------------

GRANDIA PSX PAL 50Hz
----------------------------

Normal game

Normal image

Full Scanlines

Full Sharp activated

cyberna

Now you can compare by yourself, if there is a big difference between a RGB TV and a CRT with the XRGB-2+:

RESIDENT EVIL REMAKE NGC PAL 60Hz
----------------------------------------------

Philips TV model 25PV7506/32 using NINTENDO�S OFFICIAL RGB SCART CABLE

CRT LG FLATRON 795+

STAR WARS: ROGUE SQUADRON 3 REBEL STRIKE PAL 60Hz
---------------------------------------------------------------------

TV

CRT + XRGB-2+

Some pics are not very acurate, my camera doesn�t like motion and so there are some pics with some blur...

I have used both:

CRT LG FLATRON 795FT+ 17" & XRGB-2 & EURO SCART CABLES & ADAPTOR

PHILIPS TV PAL MULTISYSTEM (NTSC PAL & SECAM 50-60Hz) + SCART RGB CABLES

Richter X

I think I'm experienceing RGB envy. I've really gotta get a GC or XBox VGA cable.

Matarick

Sorry to bump an old thread but I want to figure out what should I do to the additonal cables modding an Scart Euro RGB adapter  to work with an XRGB 2 (not +)?

I can open up the scart end easily but I am new to the whole pinset business since I was thrown off by this and the various grounding options to the simple Japanese pinset.
I recall I must switch the scart cables to work with the JPN pin set:

Signal Euro (socket) Jap (plug)
Red 15 15
Red Ground 13 13
Green 11 19
Green Ground 9 17
Blue 7 20
Blue Ground 5 18
Sync 20 9
Sync Ground 17 7
Left Audio 6 5
Left Ground 4 3
Right Audio 2 1
Right Ground 4 3
Ground 21 21

Should I worry about the other pin sets since I plan to use a Dreamcast, Mega Drive 2, PSX with guncon, and Saturn Scart cables?  BTW, this is the monitor I plan to use, the Vizio 37VX.

This might be my first soldering project just depends if I want an iron lying arround in my room.