alternative gamesx chat

Started by phreak97, May 17, 2005, 12:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phreak97

I would like to get to know the people here better, and it's hard to do that on the forums.

what would people say if i were to get a GameSX or NFG IRC channel (chat room type  thing) running? with the propper permission from lawrence ofcourse.

if nobody would use it, theres not much point, so heres your chance to have a say.
Would you, or would you not, use a GameSX or NFG IRC channel?

I would probably have it as '#GameSX'. i have not chosen a server yet, i have a few in mind.

Please, post your comments here. What you say could make the difference between having this happen, and having it not happen.

atom

Personally I hate IRC. But I might be interested, Id say you leave this one up to Lawrence. He after all has the server he could put a Moderation bot on.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

NFG

It's been tried before, nearly a decade ago, but feel free to try it again.  EFNet's the network of choice.  #gamesx is the place to be.

Just one reminder about IRC etiquette, aside from all the things you should remembeber, one thing that's very important: people idle.  I'm on IRC 24/7 and you better believe I'm not awake or even anywhere near the keyboard at that time.  Between real life, different time zones and other phenomena there's a good chance you'll enter the channel to find no one responds to you.  It's not because you're loathed (tho that's probably also true) but because we're not paying attention for whatever reason.  

I've seen too many 1-man conversations that go like this:

<joins>
Hi!
Anyone here?
Hello?
can you hear me?
fine fuk u!!!
<quits>

Just so you're prepared.  =)

phreak97

yeah, whether that was directed to me or not, i am aware of that completely, im idling in several channels as we speak :P

the channel is up now, looks like lawrence made it after the last post.

#GameSX on irc.efnet.net

i prefer sysreset if you dont already have an irc client

Vertigo

phreak97

the channel is open to anyone who wants to chat now.
anyone can feel free to pm me whenever.
im hoping lawrence wasnt right in that itll be a failure

atom

If your interested, I once developed a network similiar to IRC. Back when I played starcraft, I developed a Bot for it called Buddha Bot. It could do everything starcraft could do (even join games, hehe) and I also created a sub network just for the users of my bot. Reviving this project would require two things, people wanting to use it, and I would need someone else to run the server. Coding would be probably 3 weeks for a working beta, and 2 months for a full featured system. As you can see thats A lot of work for something that nobody might want to use.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Akir

What! No Freenode!   :o

Anyways, for those of you who would rather one program for their many uses, you can use Gaim (you'll have to run 1.1.4 if you're running ME, though). It handles IRC in quite an interesting fashion, and also has all of your IMing needs.

NFG

phreak97

Aidan

I only use IRC clients that support SSL encryption... Did I say I was paranoid?
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]