DS/SP Power Adapter Pin Out

Started by Blaine, May 15, 2005, 09:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaine

I've seen a lot of hacks lately for making a USB DS power cable or an emergency powerpack and all of them have one thing in common-

you hack up a DS power supply.

I have an old SP headphone/power adapter I picked up for $2 that I'd much rather sacrafice.

Problem is I have no idea which pins are the power and ground. I have some guesses but I'd rather ask people who know.

Thanks.
If you can mod it... I'll find a way to screw it up!

NFG

My DS power supply has the pins labelled on a little diagram.  I'd be surprised if the SP wasn't the same way.

Blaine

Ah, so it does. I didn't think to check my power supply.

Thanks.

And as I'm still new to working electronics, a couple people really tried to impart to me "ground doesn't always equal negative".

I'm 99.99% sure that I'd be safe in running my usb ground wire to my ds negative wire. This sound correct?

That .01% is enough for me to openly admit ignorance in the attempts to save my $150 DS, which I'm rather fond of.

Thanks again.
If you can mod it... I'll find a way to screw it up!

NFG

In this case you can safely equate - with GND.  GND is, technically, zero volts.  You can have negative voltage (JAMMA for example uses -5v) as well as positive.  Typically a battery has a negative and positive terminal, instead of + and GND.

But yeah.