RGB mod questions (PCE, GBA...)

Started by ccovell, April 27, 2005, 12:44:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccovell

Hi, folks.

I, too, have just recently joined the ranks of happy RGB monitor users.  I got a Sanyo Japanese computer monitor from this site's own Lawrence.  (Thanks!!!)  I bought cables for my PSX, SFC, Saturn; and have hacked cables for my Neo-Geo, MD, SMS...

I also have begun the more difficult internal hacks to get RGB out of my PC-Engine and Game Boy Advance (through Terebi de Advance),  and hopefully Game Gear soon enough.

The video from the PCE and GBA look great, but not perfect.  On the PCE, I made the RGB amp as on the gamesx site.  For most games, it worked great, but some games (and especially on the SuperGrafx) caused the video to shear in the top half of the screen.  I disconnected the sync from its amp and ran it directly to the monitor, and the picture never sheared again.  However, still one artifact that I can see is very faint vertical lines every 8 pixels.  Does anybody know what could be causing this, and a way to eliminate it?  Any ideas why the sync amplifier was making the sync mess up?

And on the GBA, the RGB works perfectly (except that for sync, I couldn't use the sync output from the GBA (the picture faded to black 1/2 a second after connecting sync); instead, composite video makes the image sync perfectly.)  However, about 2 minutes after using the GBA, I notice that what was once pure white on the screen has changed into a pale yellow.  The image is still clear and vivid; it's just that there's no more pure white on the screen.  Any ideas as to what may be causing this?

phreak97

i have no idea about the yellowing, but anything fading after an amount of time to me means theres a capacitor doing something evil. (this is for the sync thing, not the yellowing) since they charge gradually, not instantly.

someone correct me if i am wrong