News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

What is this?

Started by Akir, April 18, 2005, 06:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akir

I have this on my intel i108 Motherboard, and I was wondering if anyone knows what it is and what it does. Sorry it's so blurry, but the camera was way zoomed out, and DiGIC digital photo processing isn't that good (though it's better then most others) DPS is, in my oppinion, no excuse to disclude optical zoom.

phreak97

it would probably help if your image hosing worked

TJ_Kat

Looks kinda like a centronics connector, but I've never seen one like that used internally before. The ones like that are usually used for an external SCSI connection.

Akir

If the image doesn't work, go to http://photos1.blogger.com/img/95/2768/1024/IMG_0233.jpg. It's the same address put in the first post, but for it won't show up for some reason.

phreak97

QuoteIf the image doesn't work, go to http://photos1.blogger.com/img/95/2768/1024/IMG_0233.jpg. It's the same address put in the first post, but for it won't show up for some reason.
ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://127.0.0.1:8000/img/95/2768/1024/IMG_0233.jpg

The following error was encountered:
Access Denied.

Access control configuration prevents your request from being allowed at this time. Please contact your service provider if you feel this is incorrect.

Your cache administrator is root.

Generated Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:36:29 GMT by photos1.blogger.com (squid/2.5.STABLE3)

TJ_Kat

You silly people are so good at modding hardware yet you don't know how to get a silly remote loading protected image to work. Copy the link, and paste it directly into your address bar. Alternately, after clicking on the link and getting the error page, click anywhere on the address bar and hit enter.

Well, maybe "people" was too broad of term, as only phreak has admitted to having problems  ;)  

Akir

Well, anyways, I figured out what it is. It is an intel 82801BA ICH (I/O Controller). Whatever that is.

This long trip has tought me something, though. My Motherboard is an i815, not an i810.

And you shouldn't make fun of Phreak. He's an all right...  person....

Aidan

I very much doubt it's the 82801BA, as that's the I/O controller hub, as used to be known as a southbridge. That would make it a fairly large chip.

If you really want details on things, it would be helpful if you told people exactly what model/manufacturer of motherboard you had.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

phreak97

ok, maybe opera disagrees with it, i saved it to my pc and it worked, but nothing else you suggested did.. and Akir, thanks for sticking up for me:) if you were being serious anyway:P and, if the person meant you didnt know if i was a guy or not, i am:P  

TJ_Kat

i815 is the name of the chipset. The motherboard will have some other name.

To phreak: I'm using opera too, and it's working just fine *continues poking fun at phreak; poke poke*  :P  

atom

QuoteTo phreak: I'm using opera too, and it's working just fine *continues poking fun at phreak; poke poke*  :P
Get off of it already. Maybe we should beat on Akir for using a crappy image host (you can upload images now). And get a real browser *poke poke* (wow its almost like irc in here).
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

TJ_Kat

It is a real browser...
And I'm trying to keep at least one on topic comment in my posts... but this time I think I'm stumped.

*poke poke*

ps. Since I'm still kind of new, how long does it take before Lawrence puts a stop to conversations like this?

Akir

/ME says that That's what Windows says, and Intel agrees.

Aidan

The i815 is a chipset that Intel produces to support their processors. As there's a whole bunch of manufacturers who buy the i815 chips (there's two in the set) from Intel and slap them on their motherboard.

For example, all of the following boards are based on the i815 chipset:
Acorp 6A815E1
AOpen AX3SP
ASUS CUSL2-C
DFI CS65-SC
EPoX 3SPA3L
Intel D815EEA
Microstar MS-6337

Now, from your picture, I /think/ you have an Intel D815EEA. If that's the case, the connector you're looking at is the DVO (Digital Video Out). I believe it requires some extra circuitry in order to turn the signals on the DVO connector into the signals needed for a DVI-I connector.

NFG

Lawrence has never had to put a stop to conversations like this.  Let's hope it never repeats.  

We're not here to abuse other people, either help out or don't.  Leave the personal jabs and insults at the gate, ok?

phreak97

/me hides behind lawrence

TJ_Kat

I'm sorry phreak, I was just in a giddy mood. I fully expect to seem dumb on a regular basis, and have it pointed out to me in the most embarassing way possible.

However, can I keep poking you? *poke poke*
I'd poke Lawrence, but I don't need my finger amputated at the shoulder  :D  

atom

And im sorry too, I will never negatively emote another forum member again.

Sincerely,
atomic-inc customer service
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Akir

Quote...the connector you're looking at is the DVO (Digital Video Out).
You may be right. I checked out the webpage for the Chipset that you gave me. It's pretty much the same thing. Since there are differences in both the i815 and D815EEA, I think it may be a coustom Motherboard. As crazy as this sounds, I got this from an unreliable source, so I can only speculate. I'm checking some infosheets to see what the plug is right now.

Edit: Since they're both basically the same, I compared it to the i815/D815EEA papers. It is indeed a DVO. It doesn't need any additional circutry, but it needs a special cable. Thanks for the help, all!

Aidan

If you want DVI-I, you need additional circuitry. If you just want DVI-D, then you can use it as is.