Where to get: Sony CXA1645 chips

Started by PDP-13, April 15, 2005, 03:47:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDP-13

The one problem I have with RGB -> S-Video converters are;

They are bloody expensive.

$100 or more (usuall MUCH more.)

I have a schematic for a Sony CXA1645 RGBS to S-Video/composite converter, but!

I can't find a single source for Sony CXA1645 chips in North America (so far).

I don't think the whole thing would cost more than $45, including connectors and other fiddly bits (which are easily found).

Does anyone have some of these chips, or know where to get them?

any help would be much appreciated. B)  

phreak97

if it helps at all, the md1 has a CXA-1145 encoder in it...

Endymion

The 1645 should be in any Saturn or Playstation. If you can get ahold of one of these then open it up and go to town. If you feel bad about killing the unit try and find a used or broken one. Chances will be good that the chip is still functional and you might even be able to score the console for free.

phreak97

oh, youre going to hate me now.. having read the previous post, i am now holding a spare CXA1645M in my right hand as i am typing this:) i can confirm, they ARE on the psx motherboards.. theyre on the underside (or mine was) right by the av port. (too bad for you im in australia;))

PDP-13

Is it a DIP part? (pins that go thru the MB)

Also exactly what model of Playstation,
Old and grey one or small and white one?

NFG

They're almost certainly going to be surface-mount, so get your fine soldering skills ready.

phreak97

it's surface mount, and generally when someone says psx they mean the old grey ones, though some people are a bit clueless.. mine was from one of those.

Aidan

Any reason why people are not considering using the AD725 instead? (product page here)

No, I've not used the part, but it appears to do the job that's required without needed to sacrifice a whole bunch of electronics to get a single RGB to NTSC/PAL encoder.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

NFG

The AD275 is a very capable part, but Sony gets the love 'cause it's REALLY common.  But then, why not use the impossible-to-find-but-I've-got-one-so-nyah! Sony CXA2075, an upgraded and awesomer pin-compatible version of the 1645.

phreak97

Lawrence, where'd you get the CXA2075? and what kind of stuff can it be found in? (if any)

Endymion

QuoteAny reason why people are not considering using the AD725 instead? (product page here)
Well we got into the CXA1645 here first in order to amplify RGB. It's just that it also does S-video so nicely that it's cool to get both in the same package, this is really nifty for Turbo units.

Broken Playstation < Turbo/PC Engine with S-video

Any additional info on the 2075 is most welcome.

NFG

My CXA2075 came from a Micomsoft XAV-2s.  A google search turns up the best page first, from the designer of the chip himself.

phreak97

PDP-13 Now that we've found you the chip, do you want to share that schematic?

Endymion

Do we need one? The ex-designer says it is pin-compatible with the 1645.

phreak97

well, seeing as i dont know how to wire that one either, yes.
i want to use my amiga on my tv, cos i dont have an scart monitor, and tv's here dont really have scart..
i have found the datasheet on the chip though, and i think thatll help.. but if one of you has a better/easyer setup, ill be happy to hear it.

edit:
Endymion, i meant for the 1645..

NFG

Oh do please try Google next time, phreak97.  You might have found it in a dozen places, like a little site we all like to call gamesx.com.

D-Lite

QuoteAny reason why people are not considering using the AD725 instead? (product page here)

No, I've not used the part, but it appears to do the job that's required without needed to sacrifice a whole bunch of electronics to get a single RGB to NTSC/PAL encoder.
Because the AD725 is not as compatible as the CXA1645.  The AD chips don't play well with many video signals I've found from building superguns with both that part and the 1645/2075.

I had a couple of topics in great depth here about 1.5 years ago on building this circuit.  In fact I just built 5 last night for Turbo systems.  Matt Ross was a big contributer to that discussion and it's worth finding.

PDP-13

Sorry, forgot about actually POSTING the scematic:

http://www.nexusuk.org/projects/rgb2svid/p...s/hpim1066/view

Thats actually the PAL version; you need to change the parts he talked about to the NSTC ones.

Also I'm thinking... The Sony Playstation has a CXA1675 working happily already...

why do I need to excise that chip from a pre-built circuit?
It works fine already and Playstation S-Video cables can't be too hard to find.

Why not just cut a few solder paths, add a Multi-pole switch
(a 4-pole double throw switch w/two permament positions, 12 connectors), and hack on a few BNC connectors on the outside of the PS...

lazy yes, easier to do than build a whole new circuit with awful surface mount stuff.
and no dead PS1, not that I'm a fan of sony consoles.

could that work?

NFG

QuoteWhy not just cut a few solder paths, add a Multi-pole switch
(a 4-pole double throw switch w/two permament positions, 12 connectors), and hack on a few BNC connectors on the outside of the PS...

The concept is sound, there's no reason at all you can use the existing framework and just feed your RGB+S signals to the PS' chip.  The downside of course is that the PS isn't exactly a pocket sized adaptor.  =)

D-Lite

I've cut the 1645 from the PSX and Saturn boards, leaving as much of the supporting components as possible.  I'll be hopefully posting this as a working encoder in the not too distant future.

PDP-13

Also RGB + S need to be grounded right?

Is it OK to use the same common ground?

phreak97

yes, you can use a common ground

werejag

sounds cool hopefully this is what ive been searching for

werejag

can someone make  a pcb based on the common size of all these parts?

PDP-13

Uhm... Huston we have a problem...

I've got a Sony SCPH-9001 model grey Playstation, and I can't locate the RGB encoder chip on the motherboard...

my question is this; DOES a SCPH-9001 model even HAVE a RGB encoder as a seperate chip :o

I fear that the RGB encoder has been integrated into one of the other chips... making alterations to the device rather impossible.  

werejag

QuoteUhm... Huston we have a problem...

I've got a Sony SCPH-9001 model grey Playstation, and I can't locate the RGB encoder chip on the motherboard...

my question is this; DOES a SCPH-9001 model even HAVE a RGB encoder as a seperate chip :o

I fear that the RGB encoder has been integrated into one of the other chips... making alterations to the device rather impossible.
i was looking threw my collection of old boards

its only on the first version taht has 3 rca jacks and a micro phone jack.

early version

the chip was removed into the compnet cable or other cable for psx ... guessing

since the other psx'es dont have these connectors

PDP-13

My question is: where are the RGB/synch pins / inputs on the SCPH9001 board?
(what chip handles video?)

It does not matter as long as I can find something to feed my RGB signal into.
(that has good S-Video output)

or am I completely Hosed? :unsure:  

PDP-13

To answer my own question:
the A2106R chip seems to do the video...

unfortunately I haven't found a datasheet ANYWHERE, even the all mighty google has failed.

does this part have an alternate name by any chance? like CXA2106, or is it really some slightly updated IC that is compatible with annother one?

also its a quad flat pack.... goint to be very tricky to solder around that, in fact its fiendishly difficult...  :ph34r:

seems to generate pretty good quality video though.

werejag

i use to mod chip psx back in the day and bought alot of "bad" psx off ebay and repair them so i had a few donor boards.

guess ill have to figure out how to make a board layout

phreak97

i got the chip from a later psx with no rca jacks. are you sure you checked BOTH sides of the motherboard? mine was underneath it.
werejag: no playstation cable has a chip in it.

PDP-13

Yeah, first thing I did after not locating the CXA1654/2075.

there were NO chips/capacitors/resistors/anything on the other side of the board.

its a october 1999 model PS.

this one also has no RCA jacks or parrallel port. lame.

and the chip I think is video is one of those tiny quad chips with microscopic pins.
(and may even be a custom sony part with no datasheet for the general public)

viletim

PDP-11,
To work out which chip is responsible for video encoding just trace the RGB signals from the A/V connector. The video normaly goes from a an IC's output, through a 75 ohm chip resistor to the A/V out.

If it turns out to be something esoteric then go to analog devices' website and order a free sample of an AD724/AD725 video encoder chip. I ordered a few AD725 samples last year without any trouble (still haven't got around to using them though).

werejag

Quotei got the chip from a later psx with no rca jacks. are you sure you checked BOTH sides of the motherboard? mine was underneath it.
werejag: no playstation cable has a chip in it.
several of the psx cables had big boxes is what im saying maybe it has the ic in there after the late models did away with the chip

PDP-13

QuotePDP-11,
... just trace the RGB signals from the A/V connector. ...
yes, but where is the Synch input on the CXA2106R part?
(and for that matter RGB inputs as well)

I don't want the output of this chip but to use it as an RGB -> S-Video encoder.

therefore I need to find the RGB and Synch inputs for the chip.
(and use the Sonys S-Video output as normal.)

and to werejag, I doubt ANY A/V cables have a IC of any kind in them.

It would be needless to include such a part externally from the motherboard.

phreak97

werejag: those boxes contain only a ferrite tube to act as a noise filter. nothing more.

NFG

QuoteI doubt ANY A/V cables have a IC of any kind in them.
No Sony cable has any kind of IC inside, but the GameCube certainly did.  The component cables include a digital->analogue chip.

werejag

QuoteI doubt ANY A/V cables have a IC of any kind in them.
No Sony cable has any kind of IC inside, but the GameCube certainly did.  The component cables include a digital->analogue chip.
the rf ones had a box not a filter and ive not seen rgb  cables for psx

NFG

Quotethe rf ones had a box not a filter and ive not seen rgb cables for psx
In spite of your complete lack of punctuation and capitalization, you are completely correct.  RF adaptors have RF modulators in the cable.  No PS RGB cable I've seen has anything inside the connectors but some capacitors.

D-Lite

If you search around here you will find the models of PSX that had the CXA1645 chip:

If memory serves correctly.

And Lawrence there was that cable made by Lik-Sang or someone that had a 1645 in it for the PSX.  Not Sony brand, but existed.

PDP-13