How do I open doc files?

Started by FM-77, April 12, 2005, 09:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FM-77

I have been trying to open several doc files, etc. with the X68000 OS, but I haven't managed to do it. Also, how do you make new files on diskettes? I can make note files but I want to make actual text documents or the like. Is there some software required? Is it possible to download that?

Thanks in advance

NFG

I haven't got the manuals handy, I've packed 'em all up for shipping to australia, but let's see...

.doc files are just text files, rename them to .txt to read them on a Windows system.  Before MS got their hands in it and fucked it up for the rest of us .doc was a DOCUMENT file, not a proprietary bloatware file.  

You don't create text files out of thin air, you use a text editor to write the data and then save it.  There are dozens of apps for Windows to do this - notepad.exe ships with Windows, I use and recommend Editplus.  There's an old DOS command that may work for HumanOS, the DOS-alike command-line that shipped with the X.

copy con filename.ext      <- copy from console to this file.  Then type whatever you want, line after line, and press ^Z when you're done.  Might not work, but it's a quick and dirty way to create a short .bat or .txt file if it does.

Computolio

Use the built-in text editor, ED. As in "ED <document.doc>".

Unfortunately I have no idea how to quit the text editor or save edited files. Anyone know?

Magic Knight

Quote from: Computolio on October 09, 2008, 02:40:36 PM

Use the built-in text editor, ED. As in "ED <document.doc>".

Unfortunately I have no idea how to quit the text editor or save edited files. Anyone know?

It's actually really easy. As you say, you use ED <document.doc> to either edit or create a new file, when you're finished, press ESC and E together and the file will be saved and the editor will exit at the same time. I've just tested it now.

If there is any demand for it, I can translate all of the ED commands and post them on my website.

Computolio

To be honest, I can't think of any more commands other than "save without quitting" and "quit without saving" being useful at this point.

TheRogue

I know this is an old thread, but if the offer to translate the ed command is still open, I would love to see that be a reality.
Go up to your brother, kill him with your gun. Leave him lying in his uniform dying in the sun. War, it's never been so much fun.

Magic Knight

I read through the manual about ED today. Really the only two commands worth worrying about are:
ESC + E : Save the file
ESC + Q: Quit without saving. You'll be asked if you're sure, just press Y