PAL SNES RGB Cable Probs again..

Started by consumed, March 31, 2005, 04:26:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

consumed

I have a PAL SNES and recently bought a RGB-Cable which claims to work on the SNES. Unfortunately it did not. I opened it and saw those capacitors or whatever they are called and soldered them out. But it didn't work, too. The contacts are 100% right..

I have two cables and they both just won't work... And what really confused me is that every post here talks about the picture fades out slightly but in my case my tv directly goes black when I turn on the console (even the channel-number is gone away - seems the tv turns off). The sound is ok though! And my TV is definitely capable of handling 50/60Hz and NTSC-Format! I've a lot of consoles and everyone works fine with ntsc!

I was also wondering when I saw this link which was posted in a post here http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/nintendo/pal-snes-rgb.htm
that there a resistors soldered into the cable which i have not in my cable...

You usually have a wire going to scart pin 8 which should switch your TV into AV mode, and this should be linked via a resistor to scart pin 16 which will switch your TV to RGB mode.

It sounds like your cable has the wire going to pin 16, so is switching your TV to RGB mode but not switching to the correct AV channel.  What happens if you manually select AV1 (assuming this is your RGB enabled scart socket)?

Pete

phreak97

i think you are getting your video formats mixed up.. pal is pal, ntsc is ntsc, and rgb is rgb.. you can not get ntsc out of a pal snes no matter what kind of crazy cable you plug in.. (with the exception of some converter box) rgb is not ntsc, its rgb, if your tv supports rgb, you can plug in any console worldwide so long as the console outputs rgb, and you can expect it to work , even if your tv didnt support ntsc.

sorry i couldnt give any info on the cable though

consumed

About the ntsc/pal/rgb thing: i really didn't know this, thanks! so what i can definitely say is that my tv supports rgb and can handle 50/60hz...

The rgb-cable i have has 8 wires, connected to the following pins:

2, 4, 6, 7, 11, 15, 16 and 20.

I can switch manually between the channels but the tv stays black! When the snes is turned on, i can't even see which channel i am on because my tv doesn't show anything than black... But I know that i am switching the channels, because i can hear the sound when i am on AV1 which has rgb-support... I can switch Between AV1, AV1(SVHS), AV1(RGB) and AV2...

The main problem i have is that my tv goes black instantly when turning on the console and it seems that the "picture tube" (do you call it this way ;) ) turns off...

I am searching the internet but never came up to a problem similar to the one i have :(

Hojo_Norem

Is your TV a Philips?  If it is then i'm not suprised.  What value resistor are you using to connect pin 16?  I found that if Im using a 5v source (like that from the SNES and mostly everything else) then a 100 ohm resistor in series to the pin got it to work.  (Boy when I got it to work I was extatic!)
Formerly 'butter_pat_head'

consumed

Hmm, i am not using using a philips tv...

But there is no resistor connected to any pin.. thats what i was wondering... Anyway, here's a picture of my cables, the one in its original state and the one i desoldered the capacitors off... Should I try to solder a resistor to pin 16?

Hojo_Norem

It won't hurt if you do.  If I remember correctly, the SCART standard calls for something like 3.odd volts on pin 16 to activate RGB.  Most sets will be fine if you feed pin 16 with 5v which is normally outputted from the SNES however some sets throw a fit and just blank the screen.

Also just to be safe solder a jumper from pin 4 (audio ground) to pins 17 and 18 (blanking signal GND and video GND)  

consumed

OK, I'll try it tomorrow... I am going to solder a 100 ohm resistor to pin 16 and see what happens ;) But what do you mean with 'solder a jumper from pin 4 (audio ground) to pins 17 and 18 (blanking signal GND and video GND)'?  

Hojo_Norem

All I mean is connect pin 4 to pin 17 and 18.  Maybe I should have said jumper wire instead! ^_^

consumed

IT WORKS!!! Thank you so much for your help!! :D  

Hojo_Norem