Genesis Poking Around

Started by Drewman21, March 15, 2005, 06:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drewman21

Just kind pokeing around in my version 1 Genesis to see what I can poke at.  Three things kinda popped in to mind as i was looking at it.  

1) Can the RF adapter be removed from the board without any ill effects to free up some space around the heat sink?

2) What is the space for next to the RF unit that has the 9-pin solder points?  Another controller? Com-port of some type?  Has any use?

3) For doing the stereo mod would it be better to take the audio signal before the volume slider so that you get a clean level signal?  I was thinking that it would may give you a line level that hasn't been boosted with a mini-amp for the headphone jack?

Thank you for you help and I will take my answer off air. (Too much NPR of late for me.)

Drewman21

NFG

1. Assuming you can remove it cleanly, it should be fine.  Normally the RF box receives only audio, video, power and ground.  It does not provide any signal back to the system, so it won't cause trouble by not being there.

2. The 9pin port was for the serial port, for the MegaModem which only 3-4 titles supported.

3. Probably a good idea.

Lost Monkey

3) For doing the stereo mod would it be better to take the audio signal before the volume slider so that you get a clean level signal?  I was thinking that it would may give you a line level that hasn't been boosted with a mini-amp for the headphone jack?
I was poking around the Gen 1 last night (with the schematics too) and I could not find the separate left and right audio apart from the previously mentioned source after the volume control...

I thought that the 2 signals get combined at the small LM chip (before going to pin 8 of the CXA1145) but I can only find one of them going into the LM chip (at pin 2...).

Anybody already been through this that can give me a pointer?

Thanks in advance!

Lost Monkey

... and to follow up, the non-amplified separate audio signals can be found on pins 1 and 8 of the CXA1034...  :D