News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Looking For X68000 Ram

Started by blue lander, March 09, 2005, 04:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue lander

I've got an original X68000 (CZ-600C), which only has one megabyte of RAM. To play games like Granada and so forth, I need two megs. Does anybody know where I can get RAM for it? I've searched Yahoo auctions Japan for a month now and I haven't seen compatible RAM come up once.

Computolio

From all the motherboard photos I've seen, the situation looks kinda bleak. RAM is either in supah-expensive ZIP chips or daughterboards, and I wouldn't have any clue if it's even possible to substitute higher-density chips for lower-density ones. I'm guessing not.

That photo of the XSIMMVI thingy earlier kinda reminded me of the shitty situation some Amiga owners are in. The Amiga 3000 uses ZIP chips, and while SIMM adapters exist, they're almost as expensive as the chips themselves despite consisting of 2 SIMM sockets, a PCB, some pins and at most one commonly available logic chip.

NFG

I have several RAM boards for X68000 here.  I haven't replied to our friend bluelander 'cause I haven't had time to figure out what size they are, where they are, and what brand they are.  Limiting himself to two specific boards is probably a quick way to be frustrated, but waiting for me is likely worse.  =)

blue lander

Sorry about being a pest :)

I'd be happy with any RAM boards, just as long as it works with a CZ-600C and is compatible with most games. From what I read in the babelfish-translated FAQ, those are my only options. I don't need anything fancy like the XSIMM (plus I hear that might not be fully compatible with everything), just something that'll let me play Nemesis 90 and Granada and Sol Feace and Strider and so forth. I'm not really interested in games like Street Fighter II or the SNK ports that need insane amounts of RAM.

blue lander

Hi,

Any luck finding RAM yet?

NFG

That's a great question.  I'll jump out into the shed and see what I can find for you!

Sorry for the wait - I've moved to Australia in the meantime.  

blue lander

No prob. :) Let me know when you find out either way. I might be able to hunt one down on Yahoo Auctions Japan.

blue lander

I still haven't been able to find anything on Yahoo Auctions Japan. Any luck finding one yourself?