American TVs

Started by Akir, February 10, 2005, 10:40:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akir

Question:
Quote.. but why would a vcr have scart input and composite output?

Answer: Because It's made by Sony.:P Their products have always been screwy.

phreak97

i meant it has scart input and ONLY composite output.. although i guess theres nothing to say it wasnt scart output.. like i said, its a pcb in the shed now..

Aidan

Sure it was only a SCART input? If you're not running RGB over a SCART cable, it can function as both an input AND an output at the same time.

The problem with most VCRs is that they do not store anything more than a composite signal on the tape. Hence, when you pull the signal back off the tape, you're limited to a (pretty poor) composite signal. Not really much point converting that up to S-Video or RGB!
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

dum dum

a scart TV *should* be simultaneously capable of:
1) accepting AV input for display of an external source;
2) producing AV output from the TV tuner for an external receiver.

or in other words, seperates the tuning and the display+sound functions and joins them together when in traditional TV mode.

this idea is handy for pay tv decrypter boxes - TV tunes the scrambled channel, AV gets piped out to the decrypter, unencrypted AV is sent back.

a scart socket on a VCR could also follow this idea, that is record unencrypted AV with the help of the external decrypter box.

Aidan

Alas, the SCART socket can only handle bidirection video when you're running in composite mode. Move to S-Video or RGB and the SCART socket is unidirectional only!

dum dum

i guess i thought that using composite vid was the implied with the "device A borrows device B's tuner" idea, as thats the video carried in the broadcast rf signal

dum dum

before you say it, im aware that device A doesn't control device B's tuner; just that A gets fed what B is dishing out

Aidan

SCART does have the pins to do data transfer, but the protocol never seems to have been defined, so it's up to manufacturers to choose what they do. Some manufacturers did produce their own protocol to allow devices to control/communicate with each other.

Yes, the use of composite is almost implied, depending on the broadcast medium used. That's a whole 'nother field, and a bit outside the topic of SCART! :)

QuoteYou're confused.  First of all, SCART is a horrible standard with a terrible connector that's nearly impossible to plug in with your arm around the TV.

There's no such thing as "composite RGB" as far as I'm aware, do you mean component video?  And why doesn't this plasma TV have sound?  Is it broken?
But amazingly, it's so much easier than Component, since you don't get retards hooking up right audio to the red component socket.

RichieB

If you want RGB at 15khz in the States I would recommend these monitors -

Mitsubishi XC3315
NEC XM2950
Sony PVM-2030

None of them are scart though, most are BNC and usually they do not support sound although one or two of the models above might.  I think the sony has speaker outputs so you can attach seperate speakers, but more likely you will send sound straight to the receiver anyways..   The NEC has total video adjustments on the exterior, so you can change the width, height, stretch vert/horiz etc etc.  

The sony also has DB25 socket for RGB which is a nice addition.

If you want cables made for any monitor or the XRGB2+ just email matt

the_matthew@yahoo.ca