PS2 with DRE that can't be cured

Started by caphynehy, January 13, 2005, 08:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caphynehy

I have fixed quite a few PS2s with disc read errors. Each time, all I had to do was clean it out. I tried cleaning the one I've got right now, as well as a voltage adjustment. Turning the voltage screw all the way in each directions produces no results. The laser still seems to work fine as the PS2 will still play CDs. Anybody know a sweet spot for the laser or any helpful info?
The closer you get to the light, the greater your shadow becomes.

atom

Why do you have so many ps2's? My only guess is that its a modchip installation gone wrong. Its only a guess I gather from it reading audio cd's.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

caphynehy

I have only had 2 PS2s, but I fix them for other people when they get DREs. This one doesn't have a chip, it just quit on the guy.

kendrick

I dunno if this will help you or not... But I had a similar experience with the Neo Geo CD unit I picked up for $20 in non-working condition. It would always quit reading CD's after about 45 seconds of operation. To make a long story short, I found that some of the ribbon cable connectors had corroded contacts, and so the power and data signal wires weren't getting a nice consistent circuit. A good two hours spent sending down metal contacts and wiping down the edge connectors with isopropanol and I had a fully functional CD mechanism again.

You may not want to go that far. But you should at least yank out all the friction-held wiring and give it a good rub down if you can help it. It's easier than isolating the wiring and testing for continuity on fifty separate tiny tinned wire surfaces. Hope that's helpful.

-KKC, who fixes consoles for friends too. Who wants to pay for official repair work anyway?

caphynehy

Great idea, but it's not that either. To get to the laser voltage adjustment screw, every wire on the DVD drive has to be disconnected and reconnected, so I've been looking at them as well as making sure they're attached properly. Plus, CDs still play fine. I guess I just need to find a good laser alignment. I've spent forever trying though, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it.

Hojo_Norem

My first PS2 (one of the newer old version models) did the same thing, after about 4-7 hours of use after unpacking it.  I was playing Dark Chronicle and I paused it to go for tea. When I got back and continued playing it locked up.  So I reset the machine and It just acted if there wasn't a disc in the drive.  did the same with a DVD movie but when I put a PS1 game in it it worked fine.

I fixed it by taking it back and getting it replaced! ^_^
Formerly 'butter_pat_head'

atom

I think ive found the problem. It appears that SONY, a japanese company who sells overpriced electronics, did indeed make the playstation. They also made it very, very cheapily.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

caphynehy

Hahaha :D.

I guess I'll just advise the guy to buy another rather than replacing the laser/drive.

Kefka

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/pl...sony_repair.txt

That will do the trick.  

If you don't want to to that, I've fixed it before.  It's probably the laser allignment in the PS2.  There should be a white gear inside of there on the right hand side.  Mark the inital location of it with a sharpy (just in case) and click it one gear notch at a time up (I believe it is clockwise, but I can be wrong.  Twas a long time ago) and do that until it works...

If that doesn't fix it, It just maybe the laser voltage (which if you screw it up at all, you have f'd it up beyond repair due to overloading the circut), which the is somewhat complicated requiring an oscilloscope.  If that's the problem, go with the free repair (you don't even need the warantee to be elegable)

That's all I have to help you out (but it'll probably do it for you...)