News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

JVC X'Eye Mod?

Started by Vanadium, January 11, 2005, 01:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanadium

I'm assuming so, but I'd like some clarification.  

kendrick

If you're talking about the mod listed on the Gamesx page, then yes. An import mod for CD games on the X'eye requires a bios swap, just like it does for the model 2 Sega CD unit. Hope that helps.

-KKC, who wonders if there isn't an on-board flash option like there is for the Xbox, but we're not exactly talking about a PC architecture here...

D-Lite

QuoteIf you're talking about the mod listed on the Gamesx page, then yes. An import mod for CD games on the X'eye requires a bios swap, just like it does for the model 2 Sega CD unit. Hope that helps.

-KKC, who wonders if there isn't an on-board flash option like there is for the Xbox, but we're not exactly talking about a PC architecture here...
Ahhh, not so fast man.

I've been jacking around with the X'Eye for a while and have a few observations:

1.  Yes, the US/JP mod works on the cart slot
2.  I have not been able to get the 50/60 Hz mod to work.  Since there was no UK/Euro version of the console, I doubt it works.
3.  The CD mod by bios swapping does NOT work.  I have tried and I can get the MultiBIOS to mount, but no luck at all in actually booting the CD drive except for running the actract mode in UK mode.

As far as the CD bios, I believe the problem is that the X'Eye uses different CD drive controllers than the other Sega branded units.  Like I said, no problem whatsoever loading the bios splash screen for all regions, so I know it's not my work.  Problem is once it comes time to access the CD drive, you can hear it spin and stop, spin and stop.  Seems to be having issues with controlling.

I was however successful in loading the MultiBIOS into a model 2 Sega CD:

kendrick

My question would be, what bios did you try to switch into the X'eye? I'm pretty sure that the universal bios for the Sega CD models 1 and 2 wouldn't function, but a bios swapped in from a Wondermega would do the trick. The hard part, of course, is finding a ROM image from such a beast.

-KKC, who just picked up the PS2 KOF 3D fighting game, and resists the urge to make a dumb acronym and abbreviation joke. :)

D-Lite

QuoteMy question would be, what bios did you try to switch into the X'eye? I'm pretty sure that the universal bios for the Sega CD models 1 and 2 wouldn't function, but a bios swapped in from a Wondermega would do the trick. The hard part, of course, is finding a ROM image from such a beast.
You're right that finding a japanese bios would be hell.  I actually have said Wondermega, but I ain't yanking apart that thing and trying to pull the bios off of an SMT.

Also, it defeats the propose, well, 50% of the purpose:
- region free for US, JP, and the UK

and since there is no European JVC console, we're up the creek.

Endymion

What is the point to sever/switch for the cart-slot region hack for the Wondermega 2? Is it the same as the Wondermega 1? (This says R177.)

I'd presume the Wondermega 2's is at least the same as the X'Eye, since the case and board look so similar--at least I don't have to go through the whole S-video circuit, the Wondermega 2 at least has that already.

NFG

The wondermega 2 doesn't have a cart port sensor like the WM1 does.  In the 1 it controls the power, not the region.  If a cart is inserted or removed the power is killed.  Since only J-carts have the notch in the side the powere will only come on when the switch is free to nestle in that notch.

Endymion

Maybe I didn't phrase the question so well--which point on the board controls the (language) region on the Wondermega 2? I'm looking to install a switch for it.