Yet another PS2 RGB question

Started by konstantin, December 23, 2004, 09:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

konstantin

I recently got this 19" monitor from an industrial trash.
This monitor has a bunch of connectors HD15 VGA and Red Green Blue H-SYNC V-SYNC BNC connectors.

So I woinder if it will work if hooked up to PS2. I guess no one makes BNC RGB cables so my question is if three is a cable I could buy and fix in BNC connectors?

Or it is better to make my own RGB cable taking the R,G,B and Composite SYNC and "Using the LM1881 Chip" to split the SYNC signal.  Is it realy that simple or I am missing something here?

Konstantin  

kendrick

Without knowing more about the monitor, it's hard to definitively say if it even supports true VGA or RGB/CMYK input. My wild guess is that this is one of those old analog RGB monitors that sat on top of the Sun Sparcstation terminals from the 80's, but there's no way for me to know.

Is there a manufacturer's label, or a model number or something on the thing? My suggestion would be to plug the model number into your favorite search engine and see if you can get a manual to come up, or at least some bare bones specifications. Then you can start thinking about how to connect the PS2 output to your new toy.

-KKC, who should be doing more kitbashing to relax. Highly reliable Nomad batteries, woo!

konstantin

Thanks  kendrick
Well AFAICT the monitor works.
I have a SynchMaster955DF running at 1280x1024 on my desk and when I tried the industrial monitor it worked at that resolution no problem.
The monitor has this tag on it:

Schneider Automation Inc.
FM+ 19" DISPLAY
557VCM74110
S/N 735048XX
A/RN 92-01254-01

Inside it hosts a HITACHI tube type M48KFH380X20 (U)

My question is more cable related.  Is the cable making as simple as using RGB, GND, CompositeSYNC from PlayStation AV port and splitting the SYNCH with   LM1881 chip plus some 220uf caps for image enhancement and to use quality BNC connectors and cables.
Will that do?
I could give it a try. Unless some more advanced hacking of the PS2 is involved.

Thanks
Konstantin.

Aidan

It might well work, but only for resolutions that are VGA and higher. Multisync monitors are well known for not liking display frequencies below VGA. You would need to seperate the syncs out.

If it does support low refresh rates, then it'll work with nothing special. If it doesn't like anything below VGA, then you'll only be able to run software that supports VGA/progressive scan modes.

Or something like that at least.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

Endymion

5+ years ago, standard VGA monitors (i.e. computer monitors that can't do 15KHz console RGB) with BNC were pretty common if the monitor in question was pretty large. (19" or larger.) So my guess is, most likely it will do VGA and nothing more. If this is the case you can use a component transcoder (or the XRGB2+), but not standard RGB. This will mostly suck for the PS2 if you don't spring for the XRGB2+, because there are a lot of games that are interlaced for it and won't work right transcoded to VGA.

Darklegion

There is actually a new modchip out made by the origa brothers  that can force all video output into 31khz(including the bootup/browser screen).Its called the o2mod and more details can be found here : http://www.o2mod.com

DreaMaker

I've some problem with "LM1881N" too and maybe this forum have the answer   :D

I have PS2 and SVGA monitor (max. res. 1280x1024 @70KHz). This monitor automatically scans horizontal frequencies from 30KHz to 70KHz, and vertical frequencies from 50Hz to 160Hz. With microprocessor based digital controlled circuit, the monitor can automatically adjust itself to the video card's scanning frequency and display an image with precise parameters you desire - its written in manual book :)

With reference from gameSX.com, I try to draw schema to connect both.
Schema which I draw whether have correctness? Request its aid, please. I'm afraid if I install wrong component that will destroy my PS2 and also its monitor.

Thank you very much.

Here is the schema:

NFG

The PS2 outputs 15kHz.  Your monitor can't cope.

DreaMaker

Is LM1881N can't assist?  :huh: So, what should I do? Or I can't make it.
Anyway thanks for the answer Lawrence  :)  

dj898

easiest way would be getting one of those RGB->YUV or RGB->VGA transcoders... depends on the makers they vary in price. My RGB->YUV transcoder cost me $103 from local distrubutor but I believe it's from UK maker...

here is the web site.

DreaMaker

Thank you for all its information. But, frankly I already have internal TV Tuner (although its result rather blur). I wishing to compare do LM1881N give better result than my TV Tuner or not and I am only interesting to make home-built converter. So, it's not a big deal for me...  :lol:  Arigatoo-Gozaimasu.

Matarick

Quoteeasiest way would be getting one of those RGB->YUV or RGB->VGA transcoders... depends on the makers they vary in price. My RGB->YUV transcoder cost me $103 from local distrubutor but I believe it's from UK maker...

here is the web site.
So what you are saying to me is that I can hook up the PAL Scart cable to a US Saturn and have it output in full resolution in NTSC or do I have to make a converter adapter to use the Japanese RGB into the SCART adapter into the RGB -> YUV converter?

Another question is how can I output the audio from a regular scart cable and hook it up to the Red and White audio ports?

This sounds like amazing news to me because I am finally getting into the Saturn groove of things and I would be estatic to see Xmen vs Street Fighter run in full component glory.  Hey I might even ditch the VGA box for Svideo output for my Dreamcast games.  So long inferior PS2 2d ports.  Hello Dreamcast originals versions.

Thank you so much for the info.