Started by Rockard, December 22, 2004, 07:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockard

Well.. The whole story minimized is:

I have modified my NES using playchoice RGB for RGB output,
but the colours are a bit off, because the quality is too good. =P

For example, color red is too bright and perfect to look accurate
in most games.

To try to fix this problem, I put pots on all three rgb-signals so I could weaken
some of the colorvalues a bit.

But, as my electronic skills isn't that great, I found out that minimizing the colourvalues also minimized the signal strength (of course), so when lowering the values, the colors also started to get bleedy and unsharp.

So, I want to lower the colorvalues, and at the same time strengthen the signal so the picture will stay sharp.

Is this in some way, possible, somehow?

Thanks for any help.

Rickard

NFG

The PC-10 video chip is not 100% compatible with the NES' standard video chip, and causes colours to be a little off as well as some other, rarer (but very strange) defects.

You may not be able to solve it at all.

Rockard

Mmmm... Yes, thanks for your insights, but I know that the chip isn't the same as the NES, or 100% compatible.

Anyway, the "very strange effects" are now mostly solved thanks to moosmanns researches =), and nearly all games works flawlessly.

The colors are just fine, they are 100% correct, BUT. They are TOO perfect, like, they are to bright. The NES didn't ever show a color red that was 100% red.

I just need to turn some of the colors down a bit, so that the red gets a little darker and maybe some small adjustments too to the others.

It MUST be possible! It's the last little key to the ULTIMATE NES!!! Gah!

Moosmann

I will make a completely new colorbooster with a >single< OP Amp IC, but at the moment I have no time for this new project :)

I also received two PPUs, which labled as RC2C03B instead of RP2C03B. Unfortunately, the 68pF condensator method don`t work with the RC Chips, you need a higher capacity to fix the graphic glitches.

I also still wait for the RC5-04 Chips...

To answer the colorproblem, please look the hair from Pit, it`s a brightbrown color:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...8155650836&rd=1

Bye Markus

Aidan

QuoteBut, as my electronic skills isn't that great, I found out that minimizing the colourvalues also minimized the signal strength (of course), so when lowering the values, the colors also started to get bleedy and unsharp.
That's because you cut off the terminating resistors from one side of the cable, and ended up finding out what reflections in a cable do! RGB lines are not actually 'just' a bit of cable, they're actually transmission lines.

You would do better off using three resistors in a T-configuration to ensure that the transmission line is balanced to the required 75ohms, but this is a bit more work.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

Rockard

Moosmann: Heh, well, yes, Pits color on the box i lightbrown, BUT it really doesn't prove anything, since that Pit-sprite isn't resembling anything from the actual game =). It seems simply hand-pixeled by some noone - just looking at the tv or something. I really believe the grafics were designed on rgbmonitors - but at the same time looking at the av-output to see that it turns out the right way(since that was how the public was going to see it) - dark brown haircolor that is =).

thanks for the answers everybody, anyone else with some tips?

Moosmann

QuoteMoosmann: Heh, well, yes, Pits color on the box i lightbrown, BUT it really doesn't prove anything, since that Pit-sprite isn't resembling anything from the actual game =). It seems simply hand-pixeled by some noone - just looking at the tv or something. I really believe the grafics were designed on rgbmonitors - but at the same time looking at the av-output to see that it turns out the right way(since that was how the public was going to see it) - dark brown haircolor that is =).

thanks for the answers everybody, anyone else with some tips?
OK, here`s a other foto (backside from the box).

http://markus.brandel.bei.t-online.de/kidicarus.JPG

And ?
RGB brown is the right color :)

Bye Markus

Rockard

Moosmann: Hah, yes, you got me there! :)

So yes, that picture probably is from an rgb-monitor.
But I STILL think that the gamegraphics was drawn with RF-colors in mind,
since I really think it just LOOKS wrong with the rgbcolors.

Especially the combinations. The bright 100% red color looks bloody awful sitting next to a light-brownish color, while on a av-picture, the red is darker and so it  blends better with the other color.

I can't name a specific game just now, but I really think the playchoice-chip simply isn't providing the colors the way it was meant to be seen.

Moosmann, about the quote "I will make a completely new colorbooster with a >single< OP Amp IC, but at the moment I have no time for this new project "

What will this do the actual picture? Will it just make the inside of the NES a bit less messier, or will it provide any sort of better display, somehow?

/Rickard

Martin

Who cares anyway... the pixels the NES produces are large enogh to maek it not matter if you're using RF since the dotcrawl's pixels are nothing compared to an individual NES pixel. :lol:  
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']barenakedladies[/font][/span]

I care!!!!  :angry:

Just started playing Castlevania 3 for the first time since... ten years ago when I rented it. Lotsa fun :), but it looks a bit noisy onscreen sometimes.
Gotta call my favorite brother so I can couch him to do some more magic stuff with my nes soon :).

Rockard

Darn, that was me.. stupid someone-elses-computer"! ;(

Anyway, noisy because of the brighty picture, of course.

I feel a bit whiny, maybe I should try o solve my own problems for once :).

Moosmann

http://people.freenet.de/rgb/

Try to find out what`s better 1,5K or 10K and so on.

Bye Markus