Samsung made a saturn?!?!!?

Started by sneex, December 17, 2004, 12:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sneex

benzaldehyde

I think just about every electronics manufacturer in Japan developed a Saturn model. Even Sony, who got halfway into planning one and then realized they were competing with Sega.

I have a Samsung mobile phone that has faithfully served me for five years. They're good enough in my book. In other news, I need a new phone.

NFG

Samsung now is a lot different than Samsung then.  Like the Japanese giants the Korean electronics companies got started producing pirated gear, then rebranded stuff, then their own products.

The Samsung Saturn is complete garbage, it really is, but modern Samsung equipment, like LG, is second to no one.

dj898

among Korean LG - which stands for Lucky and GoldStar, its two parents companies - is regarded as inovator and Samsung as imitator...  :ph34r:
my old man started working for GoldStar back in 70s... but that's another story...

NFG

LG makes amazing stuff.  I have an LG vacuum, LG fridge, LG microwave, LG washing machine...  All troopers.

Samsung, OTOH, makes most of the top-rated LCDs in the world.  Maybe they don't innovate, but they're no slouch.  =)

sneex

my parents had a panasonic vcr for 20 years... never quit. then my mom wanted a shiney new sony vcr... broke within 2 years.... so she got a samsung dvd player...... lasted less than a year. toshiba is worse (i shouldnt have bought that tv). panasonic electronics are built to survive.

dj898

yea, national is qualitty stuff...
our first colour TV was national he imported from Japan back then

atom

Everyone knows Mitsubishi and Yamaha makes the best electronics :).

You know, while everone drools over their dreamcasts, I've always had a strange interest in the saturn. I've only played one once, when I was 10 and they were 600 dollars or soemething rediculous like that. Looking in the magazines throughout the years some of the titles have always interested me. When the last saturns were being sold out of the K-Marts going out of business, I didnt have a job, and was unable to buy one for 20 bucks. Dirty shame!
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Sumez

Heh. I played Clockwork Knight on a demo stand in a store back when it had just come. None of the titles that came out for it interested me, and it didn't take long before I never saw one in a store again.

Years later I bought one used, and today nearly every title I own for it is a Japanese release.
Much the same with DC, really.

dum dum

Samsung handled a lot of Sega stuff in South Korea, look here for lots of pics of Gam*boy (mastersystem) stuffs; http://www.smspower.org/museum/korea/  
personaly i have a samsung megadrive2 (better build quality than the Japan unit), as well as a Hyundai Snes that does mention it is an official lisenced Nintendo product. apparently Daewoo did the Pc engine line as well.

i havent looked into it but i remember hearing that apparently theres laws about letting Japanese culture into South Korea due to some bad history... in case you were wondering why they didnt get Sega/Nintendo/NEC branded stuff like everyone else

dj898

that was till a year or so ago...
now it's pretty much anything goes apart from few odd exceptions...

before when Japanese singers came to Korea had to sing in English since they weren't allow to sing in Japanese... and so on and on...  :blink:

well that is a neat little tidbit i never knew before. now all of the korean rip-offs make sense. daewoo is the worst in my opinion.... just thought i'd throw that at ya

Martin

I have a Samsung VCR and a Panasonic VCR which is beginning to "go".
I must admit, the quality on both of them is top notch, although the Samsung one is a little noisy if you consider all it's doing is turning a spindle. :unsure:  
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']barenakedladies[/font][/span]

DaveJ-UK

Theres nothing wrong with Samsung. They have some fantastic products, most notably their LCD's.

They also make the best DVD drives and memory shipped with the XBox.