who needs solder anyway?

Started by hippy dave, November 12, 2004, 09:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippy dave

this afternoon i bought a second hand saturn (that's my third now...) and this evening i gave it a 50/60hz switch, using "electrical conductor paint kit" (for repairing heated rear windscreens of cars).
worked first time.
then stopped working after i put all the screws back in.
then worked again after i added a little bit of tape to stop the switch shorting on the metal shielding under the pcb :lol:  

atom

Nice tip! If i see that stuff I will pick it up, how much did it run you for?
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

hippy dave

nothing, i nicked it off my dad ;)
i don't reckon it could be too expensive tho... have a look in a car spares type shop.  

kendrick

Just my own opinion... I'd be very hesitant to use the paint-based conductor stuff inside a game console. Since this stuff is used for car defrosting mechanisms, it tends to have a high resistance. Also, even the smallest amount may generate an inconvenient amount of heat. There's supposed to be a variant that they use for etched circuit board repairs, which doesn't have the resistance/heat properties, but I don't know where you'd buy such a concoction.

-KKC, bear battle scars from his fight with a well-used Atari 7800. Man, were these things built on the cheap or what?

atom

Well, is it the liquid used to pain the actual lines or is it a different liquid that comes with the kit?

Kendrick: the word you want in your sig is "bare"
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

kendrick

The kit I'm familiar with is used to repair the actual defroster lines, which tend to rub off due to decals and poor tint jobs. The only other parts of the kit might be actual wiring for the power, and adhesive for those connections.

Oh yes, and the word I wanted was 'bearing' since I apparently need a grammar checker as well as a spelling checker. :)

-KKC, catching up on old TV from the last few weeks. Hey, Star Trek is actually good this year. :)