Saturn -> Playstation

Started by TuZhao, November 09, 2004, 10:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TuZhao

I'd like to buy a jap PSOne or Two (just to play Raiden ;)), but I need to know if I can connect my saturn-based custom arcade stick to it, before I hand out the money.
Is it feasible, does it need much effort or PIC programming skills?
Proud Carmageddon player since 1997[/b]
I love shoot'em ups. I love arcade games. I love 2D games.

atom

This is really getting old. Im sorry to bitch at you but this has been asked a thousand times (and now plus one). You can take the chip out of any controller and put it in the new controller to make it work on anything. For details check out the Saturn USB mod on gamesx.com
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

NFG

Never mind the bitching Atom, just hand out the links:

Here's one and the gamesx.com link is here.

TuZhao

Sorry, I did not mention that I did search the whole archive before posting.
What I need is to convert the joypad signals, because my arcade stick is built around a Saturn pad, so I cannot replace the electronics, or it will be useless on the Saturn.
Actually, maybe I could, wiring the buttons to a connector and then building separate boxes, one for the Saturn and one for the Playstation.
But if there was a way to avoid this, maybe it would be easier.

Aidan

If you want to do it, it's technically possible, as the Saturn doesn't use a controller bus per se, but a simpler multiplexing system. Unfortunately, the PSX controllers use a bus protocol, so you'd need some kind of microcontroller to take the input from the Saturn controller and then respond correctly to the PS's requests for data.

That means you'll need to be able to program in order to do that!
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

Endymion

Erm, aren't there old Saturn -> Playstation pad port converters out there somewhere?

TuZhao

QuoteUnfortunately, the PSX controllers use a bus protocol, so you'd need some kind of microcontroller to take the input from the Saturn controller and then respond correctly to the PS's requests for data.
That's what I feared.

I was sure some joybox converter did exist, but find none - at least on Lik-Sang and Playasia.

Aidan

There might well be some port converters out there somewhere. They will contain active electronics, such as a microcontroller in order to convert between the two systems.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

Could he possibly make another small pcb to put inside his stick with the ps2 chip, and have a switch to choose which chip is powered? Thats an idea I just had.

TuZhao

I think I'll go for the "neutral stick" solution: wire the buttons to a DB-15 or 25 port, then wire different consoles' pad boards in separate boxes to another port, then connect the appropriate box to the stick.

kingbuzzo

but couldn't you just put the wires from the saturn to each different pin where the ribbon carrying all the digital singnals on the psx goes to?

You wouldn't be able to use the analogue sticks, but you wouldn't really want that anyway right?

peace,

Kingbuzzo.