My modded PAL SNES won't work with an RGB cable.

Started by Guest_thermodan, November 06, 2004, 05:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guest_thermodan

I have been using an official Nintendo RGB Scart cable with my pal snes. Recently I acquired a second pal snes that has a 50/60Hz switch added (as per the instructions listed at gamesx.com), as well as having its lockout chip disabled. The rgb cable does not work with this modified snes. After turning the snes on (at 50 or 60Hz), the picture comes on but then slowly fades out (get dimmer) until it totally
disappears. A regular composite AV cable works fine.

Are there some model pal sneses that aren't rgb capable ? (or don't work with an rgb scart cable ?).

NFG

the fading picture is usually a problem with capacitors in the cable where the system doesn't want them (or vice versa).  I didn't think there ever was an OFFICIAL RGB cable for PAL regions, I've only ever seen the official JP units.

Sounds suspiciously like someone's sold you an NTSC unit.

Guest_thermodan

There was an official Nintendo RGB cable. Check out the nintendo europe web site:

http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/en/GB/s.../gcn_topic3.jsp

(scroll down to find it).

It's not an ntsc machine I'm using; and the rgb scart cable has worked with another pal snes I own.

The question is: are all pal sneses supposed to be rgb scart cable friendly; or do the "modifications" inhibit this ?

hellbelly

All PAL snes's are RGB capable, but like lawrence said - you have to remove (or short out) the capacitors from the scart plug, otherwise the pic will just fade to black.

Pete

Guest_thermodan

It's odd that one pal snes would work with a scart cable, but another would not.

Anyone else had this experience ?

hellbelly

Sorry, didn't read your first post properly the first time, didn't realise it worked with one snes and not another.

Pete

Guest_thermodan

Does removing (or shorting out) the capacitors from the scart plug mean the plug will no longer work with a gamecube ? Remember: this is an official Nintendo Gamecube RGB Scart cable.

If not, what are the capacitors for ?

NFG

Nintendo's video chip outputs RGB with what's called a "DC Offset".  Basically they provide power on the RGB lines, which needs to be filtered, or removed, with the capacitors.  In some consoles the console has the capacitors internally, in some they must be in the cable.

It seems to me Nintendo changed the GC just so it would require the purchase of a new cable when owners of a SNES upgraded to the new system.  Call me cynical if you like.  =)