News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Where to begin

Started by kingbuzzo, November 04, 2004, 01:27:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingbuzzo

Hey, I've been very interested in all the different mods I've seen and am certainly dying to try them out. My problem is that I don't really know much when it comes to the basics of electronics. Before I get the  RTFM  thrown at me, I've been looking around the web but I figured you guys would know the best place to start. Who knows, I might just make the coolest mod ever with your help!

thanks,

Kingbuzzo.

Martin

Oh Dear...

I am working on the assumption, that you are BuzzTron from Sega.com's forums?

Have no Fear, the Gear is here :P  
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']barenakedladies[/font][/span]

RobIvy64

I have written some articles for new modders on my site.

Underground Console Mods

Maybe those will help you some :)

-R
"Console Mods" lurker

atom

You have to think of a mod before just diving into one. First off, what kind of mod are you going to do? Usually a mod consists of a need for some sort of functionality. If not then it is usually a cosmetics mod. What system are you modding?
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Martin

Also remember to ask yourself these key questions:

1) Where is the tokyo game show?
2) What will be shown?
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']barenakedladies[/font][/span]

kingbuzzo

well no I'm not buzztron, but you'll see me as kingbuzzo on every other sega message board. sega.com, dcemu, dcs, and ....whatever else I registered for.

I'm still deciding which project I'd like to work on. Here's what's currently at my disposal

my mad soldering skillz (I repair all my band's guitars and pedals)

genesis 2 (there's 3 at value village for 5 bucks each)

interac lcd screen

Dreamcast (spare) extra dc controllers

-can you see where this is going?

I'm looking to make my own portable with all this stuff but my problems are that I'm unsure as to which direction I should take, and I'm no wiz when it comes to electronics.

With the genesis project I'm usure because it might be better to buy a genesis 3, or even a cdx like that last amazing portable. The sheer cheapness of the genesis 3 would be very nice. There was also a new genesis on a chip that just came out so I'm wondering if it would be a waste of time using these old consoles when the chip could one day be the best choice.

I don't want to make a handheld dreamcast but maybe make my own travelcast (like the treamcast). I'd only do this however if I had the knowhow to get rgb into that screen, replace the led cause I can't even tell what's black or white in Ikaruga, and have the power properly transfered throught the screen so I only have to use one outlet. It would be cool if I could use the psone screen car adapter but I'm sure that that's out of my reach.

And there you have it, my essay on my state in premodding. Thanks for the help so far, good to know that there are cool people keeping the scene together.

peace,

Kingbuzzo.

RobIvy64

erhem sega nomad erhem....

-R
"Console Mods" lurker

kingbuzzo

ya...I know, I've heard it a lot.

I'm more interested in building my own portable than just owning one. The nomad is cool though. Like I said, I'm not sure which route to take and so far I think it would be better, cheaper, easier, and reasonable to build my own treamcast. It's a much smaller step and would be perfect for a beginner like me.

thanks for the...ahem "input"...

good day sir.

RobIvy64

you should have a relatively easy time with a Dreamcast. The logic board is small, and the CPU doesnt get too terribly hot.  The CD workings are a bit clunky though, you may want to look into that. <end of input>

-R
"Console Mods" lurker