Why don't people go for RGB the EASY WAY?

Started by giantgonzolez, July 16, 2008, 01:51:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantgonzolez

I realize that there are some consoles like the N64, NES, etc where there is no easy way.
But for most consoles, why not use the EASY WAY like this?

Game Consoles>Scart RGB Cables>Scart Switchbox>Scart to 4 BNC Adaptor Cable>RGB Monitor.

viletim

What are you talking about? I plug my SCART cable driectly into my TV. It's pretty easy if you ask me.

cgm

Quote from: viletim on July 16, 2008, 03:02:46 PM
What are you talking about? I plug my SCART cable driectly into my TV. It's pretty easy if you ask me.

Assume the OP lives in the USA, although TVs with SCART ports can be found from time to time. One really has to look though.

Eggy

why are scart ports not common in usa? nearly every new tv in europe has one(I even haven't seen new models without one) and one scart cable is way more handy than... what's that cable in your pic anyway? looks like 4 rf cables!

kendrick

As I understand it, SCART is uncommon in the United States due to concerns about video duplication. In the early days of home video, movie studios and TV networks blocked a lot of standardization that would also have made raw analog signals available. To this day, American regulators prefer component video to RGB because you can embed DRM and other ownership code in a piggyback fashion.

RGB32E

Quote from: Eggy on July 26, 2008, 09:37:43 AM
why are scart ports not common in usa?

For the same reason the metric isn't used!  ;D SCART was not adopted in North America.  Hence, it's extremely uncommon to find devices that have that kind of connection. 

Besides, it will be funny when giantg gets his 110->220 transformer and finds out that he can't use his 60Hz NTSC consoles on his 50Hz TV!  :P  While I'm aware that a good portion of TVs sold in non-NTSC territories are multi-system, but this one might not have that flexibility...  Not to mention that a cheesy SCART switcher will degrade the RGB video signal quality (the picture looks like a cheap passive switcher).  Giantg's "easy" way for RGB doesn't equate to the "right", "better" or "best" way...   :-\

What's wrong with one of these, they're even domestic and not as "rare" in the US!?
-PVM-2030
-PVM-2530
-PVM-3230

I don't mean to make you feel bad about your new baby and all...

albino_vulpix

Quote from: giantgonzolez on July 16, 2008, 01:51:36 PM
Game Consoles>Scart RGB Cables>Scart Switchbox>Scart to 4 BNC Adaptor Cable>RGB Monitor.

I'd hate to see the hard way  :o

cgm

Quote from: Eggy on July 26, 2008, 09:37:43 AM
why are scart ports not common in usa? nearly every new tv in europe has one(I even haven't seen new models without one) and one scart cable is way more handy than... what's that cable in your pic anyway? looks like 4 rf cables!

Because SCART is a French standard... you know how it goes with Americans and the French.  :P

Actually France required that SCART ports be mandatory on all TVs sold there starting in the 1980s. Europe, unlike the US, had differing video plugs between its many countries prior to SCART. Since Europe is considered as one market by most consumer electronics companies (they all use 50Hz PAL/SECAM video, 220v AC), they basically equipped all euro bound TVs and VCRs with the SCART ports making it a defacto standard. Of course SCART came about after the RCA composite+audio wires were already entrenched in the US. Electronics companies were under no obligation to equip their 120V 60Hz NTSC model TVs with SCART ports since no country in the region mandated it.

phreak97

giantgonzolez, most of the people here prefer to build something customized to their setup rather than use a chain of components.. your idea is quite workable for the average gamer, but we have alot of very fussy people here who would never use a switcher due to the losses they can create. a nicer way to adapt to bnc if you have no way to attach the connectors, would be to buy a cable such as yours, but cut the male scart connector off and attach a female one instead. i also recommend shortening the cable as much as possible.

remember, on gamesx, we arent worried by a little work:)

here in australia, though pal, we have very few scart equipped displays. it wasnt until hd hit the scene that rgb capable displays became any where near common.. and if you ask me, hdtv's dont count anyway, rgb isnt a pure format as far as an lcd or plasma is concerned.
many people seem to get commodore displays or other small rgb displays, but honestly, my panasonic 68cm flat crt (4:3) looks better just using composite when compared to playing on a commodore monitor.. that's not to say component on the same tv doesnt look impressively nicer, but i think some of you people need to stop a sec and see if what youre doing is actually worth it..

i think i went even further off topic than this thread already was.

Endymion

One other very simple reason not everybody does this, is quite simply that not everybody has a screen that has BNC jacks on it.

eastbayarb

where would one get a SCART (female) to BNC cable? My Mitsubishi XC-3730c has BNC connectors on it. As it stands, I have to use my custom made (I didn't make them) db15 cables (they have female ends), then a db15 male (with sync chip) to VGA cable, then VGA to BNC cable.

if i could eliminate the need for the db15 cables, I could just use my SCART cables

kendrick

I offer this link from the archives:

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=2514.0

And this one direct to a manufacturer of many SCART-to-X adapters:

http://www.mindlogic.com/CABLE_SCART.shtml

MKL

If making one yourself is not an option you could get one with a male connector (which should be easy enough to find) and use a scart coupler (socket-to-socket) in between the cables.

Quote from: eastbayarb on August 04, 2008, 11:05:08 AM
where would one get a SCART (female) to BNC cable? My Mitsubishi XC-3730c has BNC connectors on it. As it stands, I have to use my custom made (I didn't make them) db15 cables (they have female ends), then a db15 male (with sync chip) to VGA cable, then VGA to BNC cable.

if i could eliminate the need for the db15 cables, I could just use my SCART cables

RGB32E

Quote from: MKL on August 06, 2008, 12:04:08 AM
If making one yourself is not an option you could get one with a male connector (which should be easy enough to find) and use a scart coupler (socket-to-socket) in between the cables.

It looks like the picture at the beginning of this thread was taken from here: http://www.mindlogic.com/CABLE_SCART_scart49.shtml - thats right, this place wants $120 USD!  On top of that, from the wiring diagram mind logic presents, the cable isn't even wired correctly!  So much for the EASY WAY!  The center conductor of the BNC used for SYNC is wired to pin 19 (composite OUT) instead of pin 20 (composite/Y/Sync IN)!  What a bad joke.... $120USD for an incorrectly wired cable.  ::)

Making one is definitely an option...  The toughest part is finding a scart socket... and an inexpensive 4 BNC cable can be purchased from monoprice.com...

cgm

Quote from: RGB32E on August 06, 2008, 01:03:15 AM
It looks like the picture at the beginning of this thread was taken from here: http://www.mindlogic.com/CABLE_SCART_scart49.shtml - thats right, this place wants $120 USD!  On top of that, from the wiring diagram mind logic presents, the cable isn't even wired correctly!  So much for the EASY WAY!  The center conductor of the BNC used for SYNC is wired to pin 19 (composite OUT) instead of pin 20 (composite/Y/Sync IN)!  What a bad joke.... $120USD for an incorrectly wired cable.  ::)

Everything on that site outside of a regular M-M SCART cable is overpriced. :P

Anyway, I would like to say thanks to Lawrence for providing the info on this site. It taught me how to solder and years ago it was the only place with info about 15.75khz TV-RGB and various pinouts. Its still one of the very few places with info about those silly "Gamebit" screwdrivers. Yes, you have to do some work yourself, but its great practice for when you have to fix other important things or rig up custom work. Buy a soldering iron and get crackin', the results are worth it.

archenemy666

one thing, if you have scart cable it dosnet means that you have rgb signal from your console

RGB32E

And this is "RGB salve"

eastbayarb

Quote from: RGB32E on August 10, 2008, 06:06:53 AM
And this is "RGB salve"

you ever made a BNC cable with a SCART female socket on the end? That's what I need!

Endymion

eastbayarb

Quote from: Endymion on August 11, 2008, 11:52:47 PM
Just get a $5 switchbox and mod it.

i am not good at soldering or modding so I preffer someone make something like that for me. Besides the fact that i have
shaky hand injuries due to a previous job and I work 14+ hours daily which leave me no time

Endymion

Who's going to play your games for you when your hands are so shaky?

eastbayarb

Quote from: Endymion on August 12, 2008, 02:52:48 AM
Who's going to play your games for you when your hands are so shaky?

lol that's cute

I can play fine but for precision work and something that requires steady hands, that's not something I can do. that's besides the point cuz it would be better if someone can do it for me

RGB32E

Quote from: eastbayarb on August 12, 2008, 04:22:00 AM
it would be better if someone can do it for me
How about you email Redmond Cable for a quote: http://www.redmondcable.com
(if you really do want someone to make a custom cable for you)

Eggy

Quote from: archenemy666 on August 08, 2008, 07:16:41 PM
one thing, if you have scart cable it dosnet means that you have rgb signal from your console
that's right, sometimes there are cheap rgb cables that transmit the composite signal via scart.