S-Video to Component

Started by HafizMk, February 27, 2004, 07:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HafizMk

anyone got the schematic for converting an s-video signal to a component signal?

this is actually for my DVD player ... ive run out of composite inputs on my tv and i hate the switchbox .... but my DVD player only has composite and s-video output .. and my tv has component input ...

any help is appreciated

grey

Buy a new DVD player?  Seriously, you can get name brand DVD players with component outputs, progressive scan capable, play mp3's, dvd+-rw discs, etc. and about a billion other features for like $50 (e.g. panasonic).  It would probably cost you more to get something to take Svideo and make it component, not to mention for the cost - you're not going to improve the quality since svideo has less colour separation than component/colour difference video.

You can even get $200~ DVD players that have VGA and DVI outputs and will even upconvert the 480p signal to 720p or other arbitrary resolutions, plus be region free and have no macrovision (e.g. momitsu, skyworth, bravo do some or all of that).

I mean, if you want the technical challenge, have at it - but how much money is your time worth when you can easily buy a new DVD player to do what you want already?  Unless the DVD player is really old, most players already have component out unless you bought an utter piece of shit anyway (for like $20 less than something decent maybe?).

RGB mods for consoles or console cables which never offered RGB output originally is far more worthwhile way to spend hardware tinkering time IMO.

Agentspikey95

those prices are a lie, a low quality DVD player is about $50 when they're on sale.
Why are you reading this?

grey

Lie?  What bullshit.  What country do you live in?  I bought a panasonic progressive scan DVD player at Frys in Southern California for my in laws in December for $50.  True, I saw no name brands for $30-$50 or so as well.  Like I said, you would be hard pressed to spend much more than even $200 on a DVD player with a billion features.  You'd be hard pressed to even find a top tier name brand player with any differentiating features for more than $100 I'd guess, most are in the $50-$80 range.

So like I said before, unless this guy has a real interest in DIY, he is much better off saving his time and money and just buying a DVD player that already has component outputs.

Endymion

Quotethose prices are a lie, a low quality DVD player is about $50 when they're on sale.
Well then it looks like the Apex and other brand DVD players are on sale 25 hours a day, 8 days a week for 40-50 dollars then, because I never see them costing more. True that the ones you would probably want to have in order to have a "nice" DVD player will cost 150 to 200--but he mentioned that, and the extra better nicer cooler features they have also!

And plus, he's absolutely right, just get a DVD player and you'll have your instant S-video to Component! Why waste your time doing it another way?

I might try to answer your question, unlike some people. If by some freakishly wierd chance your dvd player has a 7 pin s-video connector, then the middle pins are component video. I dont think you will see this ever, it may just be a video card thing. If not, you can simply combine the 2 signals together (Y + C) on the signal and their grounds. You might wanna try a capacitor at C for better results.

Combining the two wont get you the best picture, but it works!

D-Lite

QuoteI might try to answer your question, unlike some people. If by some freakishly wierd chance your dvd player has a 7 pin s-video connector, then the middle pins are component video. I dont think you will see this ever, it may just be a video card thing. If not, you can simply combine the 2 signals together (Y + C) on the signal and their grounds. You might wanna try a capacitor at C for better results.

Combining the two wont get you the best picture, but it works!
I think he wants "component", which is not the same as "composite"

Woops sorry! I always mix em up!