Wii Component cable is available in the US!!!

Started by RGB32E, November 16, 2006, 10:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TotOOntHeMooN

QuoteIf the Wii is anything like the GameCube then progressive will NOT be allowed unless the component cable is used.
On GC, You can have progressif scan when Component cable is turned to RGB.
I think that Wii can output progressif scan in RGB too.
I hope to find cables (RGB or best a D-Terminal for data lines) to test some hacks.

QuoteIf you don't mention what the error IS it can't be FIXED
Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.
The error returned was:
Sorry, you are not permitted to use this board

Thank you for all ! :)

Tak

I've just cracked open my official PAL RGB SCART cable. Here's a pic of the SCART end and the wiring details.

Whiskasje

Hi i've got myself a rgb cable this day, i'm the owner of a pal wii (netherlands)
there are 8 pins inside the cable that's the same number of pins on the cables illustrated
in the modification diagram here so you can build a perfectly good rgb cable from a standard usa cable if you don't own a hdtv, i couldn't do this becausse in this region the standard cables only have 4 pins #$@$%@ so i couldn't save myself 30euro way to much for a stupid cable.

But anyway i want to mod this rbg cable becausse the wii is standing in the living room
sometimes where we have a hdtv, what've read so far the the only thing i have to do is add a bridge between pin 8-10 with a switch and i could for example build a female scart connector with outgoing coax component cables wich should be in place of the rgb pins ?

GZeus

"You cannot send mail"
I think the forum's got cancer.

NFG

QuoteThe error returned was:
Sorry, you are not permitted to use this board
I think it's telling you that you're trying to register using a banned email host, like hotmail or *.ru.

QuoteOn GC, You can have progressif scan when Component cable is turned to RGB.
That's because the GC uses an outboard convertor.  The GC knows that a digital cable is plugged in, and enables progressive mode.  It does not know whether the final output is RGB or Component.  The Wii does, because the convertor is internal.

QuoteI've just cracked open my official PAL RGB SCART cable. Here's a pic of the SCART end and the wiring details.
Outstanding work.  Thanks Tak!

Quotewhat've read so far the the only thing i have to do is add a bridge between pin 8-10 with a switch and i could for example build a female scart connector with outgoing coax component cables wich should be in place of the rgb pins ?
That's exactly what you need to do.

blackevilweredragon

GZeus

Quotewoah, you banned a whole country?  :o
Dude, I refuse to even click on things *.ru unless I'm linked by a credible source and it's a recent link.
There are horrors on Russian websites that would make gutter slime vomit up something worse....like lawyers...

Scorpius

Just got email from Intec concerning their component cable with optical out:

"I'm sorry but there are no plans on releasing a component cable with an optical audio out. Its a typographical error."

LOL

I don't think you can get optical out from wii, in any way...

blackevilweredragon

does it have digital coax?  that can be converted to optical...

TotOOntHeMooN

QuoteI've just cracked open my official PAL RGB SCART cable. Here's a pic of the SCART end and the wiring details.

Thank you very much ! :)
So, there is a mistake on Pin 8 description. (SCART)
4.5V-7V (nominal 6V) means a widescreen (16:9) signal
9.5V-12V (nominal 12V) means a normal (4:3) signal

TotOOntHeMooN

QuoteThat's because the GC uses an outboard convertor.  The GC knows that a digital cable is plugged in, and enables progressive mode.  It does not know whether the final output is RGB or Component.  The Wii does, because the convertor is internal.
Yes, I know that.
But Wii allow to enable progressif mode on the setting menu. It's not enougth ?
If I understand, it only switch when mode pin are shorted in YUV ? :(
(about my account; I'm using my provider email : totoonthemoon@free.fr)

Quotewhat've read so far the the only thing i have to do is add a bridge between pin 8-10 with a switch and i could for example build a female scart connector with outgoing coax component cables wich should be in place of the rgb pins ?
Yes, it's true.
And... if you switch it after running a game in 480p ? :D
Have you a RGB progressif signal too ??? (test it on a progressif screen only, else you can damage your screen)

NFG

I had to ban .ru, a handful of assholes ruined the whole country.  

...I guess that could be said of every country.  =)

Tak

QuoteThank you very much ! :)
So, there is a mistake on Pin 8 description. (SCART)
4.5V-7V (nominal 6V) means a widescreen (16:9) signal
9.5V-12V (nominal 12V) means a normal (4:3) signal

Thanks, fixed. I've put ~6V as I haven't tested the voltage but it should be around that value.

TotOOntHeMooN

QuoteThanks, fixed. I've put ~6V as I haven't tested the voltage but it should be around that value.
Certainly 5V for 16/9 and 12V for 4/3. ;)

Oldgamingfart

Thanks for the info Tak, at least there's no capacitors to worry about after all :D  

QuoteHello again.

Because I have no PAL Wii and no RGB cable I can't test it, but I think that a way to build VGA cable is :
- Using LM1881 to share Hsync & Vsync from Composite Video
- Using R G B Lines for Video

Off course, Composite line must output signal when progressive scan is enabled.

For enabling RGB on NTSC Wii, I think the only way is to hack the DAC setting into the Wii.
NTSC Wii output S-Video instead off RGB. ("jumper" set ?)

Please, how can I register my account on the board ?
Thanks. :)
if use LM1881. how to make it?

i was find that data sheet. but seem very hard to do that. and still need some chip.
if only use LM1881....any chance to do it?

LM1881
1=H Ysnc OUT
2=Sync on Green IN / Composite IN
3=V Ysnc OUT
4=GND
5=burst / back porch out (need to use 0.1uF and 680K resistance?)
6=reset
7=odd / even out
8=+5~12Vcc

antony

forgetting type name...

waiting for your news, TotOOntHeMooN :lol:  

NFG

QuoteRegarding the LM1881, there is a circuit diagram on this page:

http://www.gamesx.com/misctech/lm1881.htm
thanks!

let me try it.

but i need to buy LM1881 1st...

TotOOntHeMooN

thanks!

let me try it.

Before buying LM1881, it will be better to test if you can get progressive signal when RGB is enabled. (by switching after geting an YUV 480p signal ?)

antony

thanks!

let me try it.

Before buying LM1881, it will be better to test if you can get progressive signal when RGB is enabled. (by switching after geting an YUV 480p signal ?)
thanks.

but i cannot find LM1881 in HK... :(  

yawie

Hello all,
Don't you think a simple connection from rgb to vga could work with some monitor ?
You can have a look at  sync on green monitor list :
QuoteSync-on-green means that instead of using the normal VGA-pins for the horizontal and the vertical sync, the system sends the sync signals over the green pin of the VGA connector. It basically means that the monitor should have a system to separate the sync signals from the green pin and use them accordingly. Now this might seem like a very odd things, but fortunately SUN used sync on green a lot, and therefore there are some monitors that support it.
source

Using LM1881 would be nice : some info about it

If you want a cheap composite cable to tune your connexion and explose you plug, you can have the original AV cable for wii at playasia :5$

Thanks a lot for all of you who are investigating on this. Perfect cable would be component or vga and spdif audio :D ;)

Quotebut i cannot find LM1881 in HK... :(
You can try with LMH1981 ... Else, you have to search for another "sync separator" chip on Google.
I got few LM1881, but I'm in France.

Hey guys. Back in november I made a component cable with 2 composite cables using a buddies component cable as reference. While i was docuemnting it later I came across the wiki with the pinouts. I used the link in my howto. Just letting you all know. Good work guys, excelent progress.

My howto:
http://f3l1xthecat.blogspot.com/2006/12/ma...ent-cables.html

zen

i've read all the pages on this topic,it's a great job everyone's doing!
now that both component and rgb cables are out let's hope a vga solution will come out soon...otherwise as i see it there are only 2 ways
component cables+vga box
rgb scart+1881 solution..

Gast

i bought a rgb pal cable but i dont get 480p  -> can i change the cable to be a yuv cable (enable 480p)?

antony

finially i got LM1881N, but i was try it. it cant got any signal when i use it rgb mode..... :(  

TotOOntHeMooN

Quotefinially i got LM1881N, but i was try it. it cant got any signal when i use it rgb mode..... :(
In RGB Mode, Composite line is used for composite sync.
So, you must have a signal.
What is wrong ?

Remoteneeded

QuoteThanks, fixed. I've put ~6V as I haven't tested the voltage but it should be around that value.
Certainly 5V for 16/9 and 12V for 4/3. ;)
Have you actually measured this to be correct coming out of your Wii? It's good in theory, but as I couldn't get widescreen switching to work I checked pin 8 on the Scart - it's 12v whether the Wii is outputting 16x9 anamorphic pictures, or 4x3. Is widescreen switching working with you?

NFG

QuoteI checked pin 8 on the Scart - it's 12v whether the Wii is outputting 16x9 anamorphic pictures, or 4x3.
You're confused.  The CABLE is responsible for adjusting the voltage, the Wii will not do it.  No console does, they just provide the voltage for the cable to utilize.

QuoteI checked pin 8 on the Scart - it's 12v whether the Wii is outputting 16x9 anamorphic pictures, or 4x3.
You're confused.  The CABLE is responsible for adjusting the voltage, the Wii will not do it.  No console does, they just provide the voltage for the cable to utilize.
Unless I am confused, Wii pin 13 goes straight to scart pin 8 with no aditional electronics in the way. So scart pin 8 will always be 12v if that's all that gets put out of the Wii on pin 13. This is certainly what the diagram on the Wiki shows. If this is correct then pin-8 widescreen switching will not work - the Wii is telling the TV it is outputting 4x3, whether it is outputting that or anamorphic 16x9. This is what I'm seeing from my Wii, which is why I'm asking whether other people are seeing something different.

Cheap DVD players can output the correct voltage widescreen flag, so it's a shame if the Wii doesn't.

Now it may be possible to use Wii data line 3, (pin 16), and some additional components to make pin 8 have the correct flag, but I'm guessing the standard RGB scart cable doesn't even have pin 16 inserted. Also a European Wii may not even have anything coming out of the Wii on pin 16, (Japan only?)

Wii pin 16 = 0V ----> Scart pin 8 = 12V
Wii pin 16 = 5V ----> Scart pin 8 = 6V

Remoteneeded

QuoteNow it may be possible to use Wii data line 3, (pin 16), and some additional components to make pin 8 have the correct flag...
I've just taken apart the RGB Wii conector, used a pin from the composite connector, (I knew there had to be a use for it :) ), and checked to see what's coming out of Wii pin 16. Sadly, 0V for all aspect ratios on a PAL console, so it looks like that getting my PAL Wii to correctly switch the TV's aspect ratio may not be possible.

Route 2: Drop the 12V going to Scart pin 8 down to 6V, giving a permament 16x9 flag. After all, most Wii games seem to be 16x9, (with the notable exception of VC and most Gamecube games)

I'm still interested to hear if anyone has indeed got widescrenn switching to properly work as there's other ways of doing it, for instance data in the vertical interval - Sony TVs set to "automatic" aspect switching are actually looking here and not at the scart pin 8

Marvin

I have a question, can i make a component cable from my composite cable in to a VGA conection because i have a Samsung LE19R71B but he don't have an component input?  :unsure:  

Xtra_Zero

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but something I noticed while messing with the paperclip component mod was that you only need the bridge until you set progressive in the menu, once it's set, you can remove the bridge and still get progressive signal.  Perhaps this could trigger RGB while in 480p?  Once you restart though, you need the bridge again.  I'm not too sure about this since I never actually got the paperclip mod to work, but I know it was still in 480p mode even after I removed the jumper. I'm currently using component cables connected to my monitor via a component VGA adapter fyi.

Vegetable

My monitor is sync-on-green-compatible. Does that mean I can just hack up a component cable and it will work?

NFG

Sync-On-Green has nothing to do with component, it's just RGB without a separate sync line.

Guest_Wing

Hello everyone. I am come from china. Just came back from the New Year's day. Tired and don't want to back to work.  :lol:  

I have a question need help.

I have two area Wii console, EU version and US version. I found EU version cannot ouput s-video signal and US version cannot output scart. I wounder if Wii console got the sample problem with GameCube (NTSC doesn't support scart and PAL doesn't suport s-video).  :unsure:

Have a nice day! :)

Remoteneeded

I've now added a 39k resistor into the red wire on the RGB scart lead - the wire that goes to pin 8 of the scart that is responsible for widescreen switching. This has dropped the the 12v coming from the Wii down to about 6v, so the TV now auto-switches to 16x9.

OK, this still isn't proper widescreen switching, where the Wii would correctly tell the TV the aspect on pin 8, but given that most Wii games are 16x9 anamorphic I think it's better for the TV to initially auto-switch to 16x9, than to 4x3 as it does with the 12v signal that the Wii normally puts on pin 8.  

MaxamusCrasious

I'm sorry if I missed it, but will the Wii allow the "Gamecube side" to use progressive output as well?

WingWu

Thank you very much! I think I make you confused, sorry.

Gamecube side: S-video don't suport UK version. I don't know whether Gamecube improve the pinout to support this version console. You know, i am just a beginner in this field. so....

I use the last Wii pinout in S-video cable but it doesn't work for UK version. TV cannot show anything. when i connect scart cable to US verion console, same thing happened. Entire screen shows red color. I tried lots of method, but failed.

So I suspect that UK version Wii console cannot output s-video signal or US version cannot output scart signal (at least there is no +12V in US, right?). But I didn't receive any official information about this.

So .............

Have a nice day!!  :)