Genesis 2 composite/s video?

Started by Jemsic, April 16, 2006, 12:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemsic

Anyone know how (or of a tutorial) to mod a genesis 2 to have rca or an s-video connection like the one in this picture?

viletim!

Gather the required tools (drill, soldering iron, etc), materials (genesis, connectors, wire, etc) and information (genesis video pinouts, gamesx website, etc) then... do it!

Your request seems a bit silly to me - like asking 'how do paint a fence?'

Jemsic

Sorry, I'm a little new at the whole electronics side of modding.  But I got out my voltage meter (and the pinout here on gamesx) and figured out on the circuit board where I need to solder the wires.  I just need to go buy some composite jacks now.  Thanks!

NFG

That's the kind of attitude we like to promote around here.  Open it up and have a look, then come back here for the raw data you need to build it any way you like.  Finished guides and tutorials don't really teach you anything but how to follow directions, and when you're done a step-by-step guide, what have you really accomplished?

Yeah, it's hard and it makes you think, but I'm a mean bastard that way.  =)

Good luck with your mod.  Take pics and post results!

Jemsic

I finished, tested it and it all works great!  There's something to be said about doing the whole thing without any help.  It really makes me feel like I accomplished something, lol.

Midori

Looks nice, glad you had succes with doing it :-)

XianXi

QuoteI finished, tested it and it all works great!  There's something to be said about doing the whole thing without any help.  It really makes me feel like I accomplished something, lol.

Nice but which is which? I know how it feels, my local electronics stores only carry the black plugs or sometimes the red and whites but never yellow or RGB color coded plugs. Anyone know a site I can order them from?

Jemsic

I've seen them on ebay, but I didn't want to wait a week to get them.  And since I couldn't find colored plugs, I just put them in the order Y - W - R  (which seems to be the order on all my tvs).

atom

Good job man! I did this to my 2gen gennie and had poor results, tried a different guage wire (don't remember what it was) then had great results. It makes a big difference on a console with a crappy video output.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Drewman21

If you get the black RCA jacks what I do is tag them with colored plastic.  I have a old hole punch that does about a 1/2" hole that i drill out and put behind the RCA jack.  Kinda nice as it makes a decent spacer and you can get almost any color you want from old plastic bottles or containers.

-Drewman21

viletim!

For different colour RCA/phono sockets I just take white sockets an colour the centres in with a coloured marker. Though not much help if you can only get black ones cheaply. A while ago I was lucky enough to find a local surplus dealer who was unloading them for $5/100.

atom,
Wire thickness really shouldn't matter for this kind of stuff unless you're talking about ultra thin enamled wire.

prismra

Will this same mod work on a NTSC Genesis 2?

http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/genesis3.htm

I can't find anywhere on this site where it shows the pinouts for the genesis 2 video chip (if there is such a thing.)

If someone could bump me in the right direction I'd appreciate it!

kendrick

Pris, the Genesis 2 outputs RGB natively. The reason this mod is necessary on the Genesis 3 is because the RGB lines aren't connected to the A/V port on that particular unit. The S-video portion of the mod will work, assuming that you have that same Sony encoder chip. Have a look through some of the older posts for info on how to make this possible on other Genesis versions.

-KKC, cooking.

Guest_prismra

Ok, I've soldered the correct pins on the CXA1645M (Y-out, C-out) and connected them to a 75 ohm resistor and 220 uf cap then to my svideo jack (4-pin mini din).  I soldered two wires to the pads along the edge of the board that aren't connected to anything assuming that it was gnd and connected those two wires to the gnd connectors on my s-video jack.

I get nothing on the screen.  Black.  No hint that I have even really connected anything.  Does this even work right if you don't ground the pins on the svideo connector or is that only for safety.  Where should I be connecting my ground wires on the board?

Thank you guys so much for any advice you can give.

viletim!

prismra,
The outer ring of the 9 pin mini-din (a/v out) connector is connected to ground, so are pins 1 and 24 of the '1645.

kendrick

Can I just add, it's really dangerous to assume that some contact or pin is ground because it's not identified otherwise. Even taking a logic probe to test continuity doesn't positively identify ground. At best, a short will keep your console from running properly. At worst, you burn out a fragile component. Make sure you use properly identified ground with every external connection that requires it.

-KKC, who has destroyed plenty of circuitboards with one bad connection..

Thanks, again guys.  So the s-video connector won't work right without being grounded?