News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

modded PAL PS2

Started by MKL, September 11, 2004, 09:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKL

A friend of mine had his PAL PS2 modded for running NTSC games. He says he can now play Japanese games in colour with the composite cable on his NTSC compatible TV, which would confirm the machine is NTSC modded. Still he claims that the games are running slow and with black bars as if the refresh rate were still 50Hz. Can this be due to a wrong mod chip for that PS2 revision board or what else?

phreak97

no.. it could be due to one of two things:
1. your friend doesnt have a clue what he is talking about and is playing pal games.
2. your friend is a lier.. japanese games in most cases dont even have the capability of 50hz.. ps2 refresh rate is software controlled, the mod cant control it.

also please note that there isnt really a mod that will allow import psx games to run properly on a ps2.. theyll boot.. but theyll suck.. there may be a mod that does it.. but not that i know of.

another possibility i just thought of, is that perhapse your friend patched the games? (if they are burned) [note: piracy is not encouraged here at all] but i dont know if that changes the refresh rate, as i have never done it.

Yod@

Do you know what chip your mate has in his PS2?

I haven't come across a PS2 chip which *doesn't* play NTSC PS2 games at full speed/full screen (apart from a couple of exceptions - e.g. the Strikers 1945 1 & 2 game) - but I *have* seen a few PAL PS2s (V4 machines with the Matrix MXL2 chip) which output NTSC PS1 games in PAL.  :unsure:

Generally speaking, if modded properly your PS2 should output pretty much every game at its native framerate.