N64 Import and Wireless?

Started by UmpChuckie, August 30, 2004, 03:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UmpChuckie

Hi, does anyone have any instructions on how to mod an NTSC N64 to play PAL games? All I found was the diagram in this thread - http://nfg.2y.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=335. Or perhaps someone could just explain that diagram to me because it's kind of hard to read. I know it would be easier to just buy a PAL unit, but where's the fun in that. :P

And also I have been wondering if it's possible to make a wireless N64 controller? Maybe using like a radio transmitter or something?

Thanks.

Endymion

The discussion you linked to seems to say that you need a chip from a PAL N64 in order to make an NTSC N64 work as a PAL--so just get a PAL N64 and sell your NTSC one. :P

atom

No, you guys are being lazy. You want to play pal games on your ntsc system right? That was an article to make your ntsc system work with a pal tv. Its a pointless mod seeing as how you have to take apart a pal n64 take out a chip and put it in an ntsc n64... just use the pal n64! And as you said itd be easier to buy a pal n64, no thats incorrect it wont work on your tv.

Open up the cartridge flaps, take a screwdriver or small needle nose pliers, and brake off the little tabs in the cartridge slot! Your n64 will now accept pal cartridges. Sorry i called you lazy but this info is posted on the site. Yeah, you know, gamesx.com? Whats the name of these forums anyways? :unsure:  
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Endymion

QuoteNo, you guys are being lazy.

Is it just me or did you just tell him to do the same thing I said? (And just get more wordy about it.)

I'll point out you are being a bit lazy by presuming that he wants to use his NTSC N64 on an NTSC TV.  :rolleyes:

UmpChuckie

Okay maybe I should have been more clear. I'm aware that I have to use a chip from a PAL unit and hook it up to my NTSC 64. What I'm asking is how because the diagram in that other thread is hard to read and I'm not sure which chip is which. I'm aware I could just use the PAL N64 to play, but I want to be able to play both on just one system. You may think it's pointless but I want to do it. And cutting off the tabs just allows you to play JAP games.

Adeptus

As to the wireless controllers, I'm sure I've seen some somewhere...
They have them for everything from SNES to XBox, so why not?

davidleeroth

It doesn't matter which chip is which but the cip on the right is PAL. The voltage is 3.3V.

atom

We have already determined that you do not need to open up your n64 and do anything with any chips! Look at my post above for what to do to play pal games on your ntsc n64. You really dont want to try to make a homemade wireless controller, buy an n64 wavebird controller.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

davidleeroth

No, you have determined. Taking off the tabs will make your NTSC N64 accept both NTSC-J and PAL carts (which are shaped as like) but it will only play the NTSC-Js. Why would there be anyone messing with the chips if all there was to it was cutting two tabs?

Don

QuoteAs to the wireless controllers, I'm sure I've seen some somewhere...
Well, it's not quite the same. Ever wonder how they managed to somehow cram all of the data for one of the most complex video game controllers ever into three lines? I don't know what it is, but they use different signals than most other controllers.

The reason I say it's one of the most complex controllers is mostly because of the rumble/memory card slot. The three lines are simply power (I think at 3.3V), ground, and data. So, not only does it have to send analog data from the joystick (though they probably use an ADC for that) and digital data from all 14 buttons, plus save data, but it also has to receive data for writing saved games, and analog data for the rumble pack (Though that is probably a DAC). So the data line needs to be bi-directional as well.

Despite the complexity of the N64 controller signals, they did in fact still manage to make wireless ones. Because of this complexity, I don't recommend going for DIY wireless. But maybe you can hack one and put it in a different enclosure to make it look like yours.  :lol:

Aidan

Say what? It's hardly complex! Bidirectional serial buses are not hard to implement- you just need a pull up at one end, and open collector outputs. Signalling is simple.

Transmitting a bit takes 4 microseconds. If you want to send a "1", you pull the line down for 1microsecond, and float the line high for 3 microseconds. If you want to send a "0", you pull the line low for 3microseconds, and fload the line high for 1 microsecond.

How to read it? Simple! In pseudocode:

1. Is data line pulled low?
2. If no, go to 1. If yes, go to 2.
3. Wait 2microseconds.
4. Measure line. If line is high, "1" was transmitted, if line is low "0" was transmitted.
5. Is data line high?
6. If no, goto 5. If yes, goto 1.

That's actually a great deal simpler than something like the Dreamcast's Maple bus, where, although it uses more pins, has a far more complex structure!
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

Huh, I didn't know that. Thanks for the lesson. Maybe I'll try something myself then.  :P  

Adeptus

(1)Well, it's not quite the same.
(2)The reason I say it's one of the most complex controllers is mostly because of the rumble/memory card slot. The three lines are simply power (I think at 3.3V), ground, and data.
(3)Despite the complexity of the N64 controller signals, they did in fact still manage to make wireless ones.
1. Most console controllers (& USB) use pwr,gnd,data (& maybe clock, or for USB, a duplicated data). Look at the pinouts of NES, SNES, XBox, PS, USB...

2. Rumble/memory card slot... like, oh... the XBox?  :huh:

3. Which is what I was saying - "I'm sure I've seen them somewhere"!!! <_<

Don

(1)Well, it's not quite the same.
(2)The reason I say it's one of the most complex controllers is mostly because of the rumble/memory card slot. The three lines are simply power (I think at 3.3V), ground, and data.
(3)Despite the complexity of the N64 controller signals, they did in fact still manage to make wireless ones.
1. Most console controllers (& USB) use pwr,gnd,data (& maybe clock, or for USB, a duplicated data). Look at the pinouts of NES, SNES, XBox, PS, USB...

2. Rumble/memory card slot... like, oh... the XBox?  :huh:

3. Which is what I was saying - "I'm sure I've seen them somewhere"!!! <_<
I'm not saying they aren't out there. I was simply saying wireless N64 might be the hardest to pull off. It's the only console controller I know of with only 3 lines that also needs the data line to be bi-directional. SNES, and NES use 5: Clock, Data, Latch, Power, and Ground. I don't know what GC uses, but it's very complex I hear. I think it uses 6 lines... I don't know anything about Sega or XBox though. And I think we all know that Atari is about as simple as it gets.  ;)  

Aidan

Maple bus (Dreamcast) uses highspeed (2Mbit/sec) bidirectional serial. The connector has five pins, which are data, +5V, ground, sense, data. The two data lines are used alternately to provide data signals and clocking signals. By splitting it over two lines, Sega helped to avoid problems with RFI. There is a bus protocol in place, so this is not a simple protocol.

XBox uses USB, which uses a balanced bidirectional serial line (That's two wires in a twisted pair configuration to help avoid RFI.) USB has a pretty high protocol overhead, so the XBox's controller is probably the most complex.

GC uses a single bidirectional serial line. If you look at the physical layer on the GC controllers, it's exactly the same transmission method as the N64 (see my post above). The data layout is a little different; the N64 controllers only send 32bits of data, but the GC controllers send 64bits of data. It's actually very similar with the buttons and dpad being sent first, and the analog controls being sent after. This is a relatively simple protocol - around the same sort of complexity as the PSX controller.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

Hyper_Freak

Well, it's not quite the same. Ever wonder how they managed to somehow cram all of the data for one of the most complex video game controllers ever into three lines? I don't know what it is, but they use different signals than most other controllers.

The reason I say it's one of the most complex controllers is mostly because of the rumble/memory card slot. The three lines are simply power (I think at 3.3V), ground, and data. So, not only does it have to send analog data from the joystick (though they probably use an ADC for that) and digital data from all 14 buttons, plus save data, but it also has to receive data for writing saved games, and analog data for the rumble pack (Though that is probably a DAC). So the data line needs to be bi-directional as well.

Despite the complexity of the N64 controller signals, they did in fact still manage to make wireless ones. Because of this complexity, I don't recommend going for DIY wireless. But maybe you can hack one and put it in a different enclosure to make it look like yours.  :lol:
Oi, I'm looking for a way to DIY, but I'm intrigued by the fac that they did in fact manage to make one, whoever 'they' may be.  Anyone possible nice enough to explain where I might find a wireless n64?  I'm an obsessive diddy kong racing player, been at it for ten years and it's still my favorite game.  And I have a 360 and the rest, so I know the hi-tech games all too well.

I'd love to get my hands on a wireless n64 controller, if not a schematic or instructions to make one out of an old controller.