Which Genesis 2 models have the CXA1645?

Started by D-Lite, August 21, 2004, 04:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Lite

Looking at the S-Video mods for Genny's I've tackled both the Gen 1 and Gen 3 no problem, but as regards the Gen 2 systems, as mentioned in the CDX thread, not all Gen 2 were created alike.

So, my question is which model do you have and what's the video encoder in it?  

I have some MK-1631's neither of which have the CXA chips.

Segasonicfan

I can't be of too much assistance here but I can tell you my VA 1.8 US MD2 has the MB3514 chip.

-Segasonicfan
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

D-Lite

QuoteI can't be of too much assistance here but I can tell you my VA 1.8 US MD2 has the MB3514 chip.

-Segasonicfan
What's the model number on the underside of the unit?  On the exterior shell bottom.  That's the "help" I'm looking for.  It also tells you the country of manufacture there too, and that info would be useful.

And MB3514 chip too!  Either that or the CXA chips.....

Segasonicfan

I can't get the # from the unit cause i mutilated the case for projects.  sorry :(
MY WEBSITE: https://segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
I design PCBs for retro game systems :)

Endymion

Well I have a Genesis 2 in front of me now, model MK-1631, serial number R30200867 which had the MB3514.

I have another Genesis 2 MK-1631 outfitted with a CXA1145, serial number 140014565. Its board was stamped 25 AUG 1994.

From your first post, am I to infer you had a model 1 that held a CXA1645? I just opened up one today that has a CXA1043P.

What systems other than the Genesis held the CXA1645?

D-Lite

The Gen 1 I opened up had a CXA1145.

I have to look at the 2 Gen2s I opened up, but both had KA2195D chips  :angry:  

Guest_Survival_Tobita

D-Lite

I suppose I should update this a bit too.

Opened up 2 more Genesis 2's, model 1631, and guess what?  Found CXA1145 chips in both!  That's a new one.  

Endymion

GST--The 1461 is the Genesis 3, we know that has 1645 in it already. But they are harder to find and people tend to hang onto them or ask for more (30-50 is typical on ebay) whereas a Genesis 2 can be found much more easily and for a lot less.

D-Lite--what's new about it? One of the G2s I opened up had an 1145. What happened to the master-plan of trying to work it out by serial number? What serial number did it have? Was its board stamped with the manufacture date?

D-Lite

QuoteGST--The 1461 is the Genesis 3, we know that has 1645 in it already. But they are harder to find and people tend to hang onto them or ask for more (30-50 is typical on ebay) whereas a Genesis 2 can be found much more easily and for a lot less.

D-Lite--what's new about it? One of the G2s I opened up had an 1145. What happened to the master-plan of trying to work it out by serial number? What serial number did it have? Was its board stamped with the manufacture date?
What's new is that I had only heard from most people that the chips in some of the Gen 2s were CXA1645 chips or something "else" non-Sony that couldn't get S-Video.  Basically it was the KA2195D chip.  But then I found that the CXA1145 was used to which is a Sony chip and is also perfectly fine for the S-Video mod, although a bit more complex to do it correctly.

I believe GST mentioned the 1451, not the 1461.  Gen 2's with model number 1451 have the 1645 chip.  

Also, I will be doing a serial number, manufacture, board rev list too.  Any data people have would be helpful.  Please post it in this thread.

BTW, how do you think this looks (you will HAVE to cut and paste the link):

http://www.aloofhosting.com/dragsy/images/Gen1-3.jpg

My first fully modded Genny!

Guest_socialdrone

you can mod all the genesis models for svideo...i have the documentation somewhere if anyone needs it, just tell me what rgb encoder you have.

the mb3514 is very similar to the cxa1145.  i swapped out a mb3514 on a gen2 with a cxa1145 i pulled off a psx...the <a href="http://home.comcast.net/~socialdrone/sonic2.JPG" target="_blank">picture</a> was all messed up, but you can still see whats going on...which i think is sort of cool at least

D-Lite

Quoteyou can mod all the genesis models for svideo...i have the documentation somewhere if anyone needs it, just tell me what rgb encoder you have.

the mb3514 is very similar to the cxa1145.  i swapped out a mb3514 on a gen2 with a cxa1145 i pulled off a psx...the <a href="http://home.comcast.net/~socialdrone/sonic2.JPG" target="_blank">picture</a> was all messed up, but you can still see whats going on...which i think is sort of cool at least
Why'd you swap the chips?  The MB3514 is basically the same chip as the CXA1145, just different manufacturer.

The question is really about whether or not you can get S-Video out, but which chips are in which Gennys.  That matters a great deal since if you have a KA2195D Genesis (many Gen 2s), you have to build the entire RGB->S-Video encoder.  No picnic

Guest_socialdrone

ya i got mixed up on what was being asked, and i think i just switched the chips for fun.

im guessing the ka195d chip is made by samsung...call me crazy but couldnt you just replace it with a ka197d?

Guest_socialdrone

oh i meant the ka2197d...i forgot the 2....hello?