News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

dreamcast import mod?

Started by phreak97, August 15, 2004, 11:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phreak97

doesnt the dreamcast play everything anyway?
whats this "modified to play all games from all regeons" theyre talking about?
what kind of mods are there for dc?

hellbelly

Lik-sang also sell a 4 wire modchip for the dreamcast.  Without it the DC will only play games from it's own region (or all "backups")

I have one of chips fitted to one of my dc's.  It works fine, although you have to have the disc in the drive before switching the console on, so you can't start the game from the dc's menu.

Pete

Endymion

For anybody in North America, NCS also has the four wire mod, they can install it for you if you like although I believe they no longer sell new Dreamcasts.

The Dreamcast can't just play anything, you either need to mod it or use a boot loader like Utopia, the Game Shark CD will work to start other region games also.

dj898

QuoteLik-sang also sell a 4 wire modchip for the dreamcast.  Without it the DC will only play games from it's own region (or all "backups")

I have one of chips fitted to one of my dc's.  It works fine, although you have to have the disc in the drive before switching the console on, so you can't start the game from the dc's menu.

Pete
hmm that's strange. My PAL and NTSC-J DC both with the mod chip works just fine either way.
Mine's from UK seller, not Lik-sang by the way.

cheers

hellbelly

Hey dj898 - which UK seller did you get your chip from?  The chip in my NTSC console was originally in my PAL one, this also had the same symptoms.

Cheers
Pete

dj898

i will have to dig from my e-mail archive then.
i got the chip almost  year ago but didn't get around to install it till I have NTSC-J DC about four months ago...

I've thrown out all the packaging and etc. so only thing I still have will be the e-mail correspondence back when I was ordering one...

come to think of I was googling and came upon the site and order from there... not sure of its name or web site though... after all it was almost 12 months ago and I can't even remember what I did last week. :P

cheers

Scared0o0Rabbit

isn't there a swap disc you can use to play imports too?  I had a friend who bought shenmue 2 for dcast and played it with one of those I think.

Feeling Scared? ^_~

Endymion

Quoteisn't there a swap disc you can use to play imports too?  I had a friend who bought shenmue 2 for dcast and played it with one of those I think.
Yes.