Hooking up several devices to PC monitor

Started by benner, October 19, 2003, 06:25:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benner

Hello,

I'm in the process of rebuilding my entire gaming setup around my PC's 19" monitor.

Since the price of the XRGB2+ dropped @ NCS I'm thinking of getting one for my (SNES,Saturn,PSone,PS2,and Supergun).

For my dreamcast I will just stick to the VGA box.

My goal is to connect all these to 1 monitor, so I know I'll need a 2 port VGA switch (1 for the DC VGA box and the XRGB2+) Now, since the XRGB2+ has a PC passthrough, everything should technically work. My only concern is that if there will be any image degradation with all the passthrough and switching going on.

So is this a good idea?

Heres how the setup will somewhat look like:

-PC Video & Audio -> XRGB2+ (output) -> 2 Port VGA Switch (input1)
-Dreamcast VGA Box -> 2 Port VGA Switch (input2)
-2 Port VGA Switch (video & Audio output) -> 19" Monitor & Speakers

Here is the 2 port switch I want to get:
http://www.vpi.us/sw-audio-video.html

It's the one on the bottom.

Any help would be usefull. Thanks.

benzaldehyde

Hi,

Sounds like you have this figured out. However, I would recommend a four port switch. It doesn't cost much more, and would allow you to avoid the XRGB-2+ passthrough which (I have read) is quite poor. (I see... ghosts! AAAARRRGH!) An added bonus would be if you plan to get a Gamecube (which, at $99, many now no longer have an excuse not to  :) ). It has VGA output, even if you have to wrestle it from the component cable. (A link for directions can be found on the GameSX homepage.) Thus, the extra port would allow such an attachment. Hope this helps!

Daybona

I'm using the pass-thru port on my X-RGB2 plus for my DC vga box and I'm getting nothing.  Any ideas?

fragment

QuoteHi,

Sounds like you have this figured out. However, I would recommend a four port switch. It doesn't cost much more, and would allow you to avoid the XRGB-2+ passthrough which (I have read) is quite poor. (I see... ghosts! AAAARRRGH!) An added bonus would be if you plan to get a Gamecube (which, at $99, many now no longer have an excuse not to  :) ). It has VGA output, even if you have to wrestle it from the component cable. (A link for directions can be found on the GameSX homepage.) Thus, the extra port would allow such an attachment. Hope this helps!
Where is the link? Please show me because I may want to build that!

hellbelly

I used this guide for building a VGA cable: http://www.geocities.co.jp/Technopolis-Mar...84/ngcrgb_e.htm

Instead of the component lead though, I used the Digital Video lead which has a couple of extra wires running through it which can be used for the H and V sync signals.

Pete