New Nintendo System: Monitor Ready!

Started by Richter X, July 27, 2004, 05:30:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter X

I was reading one of my newer gaming mags and it said that Nintendo's new "Revolution" system can hook up with a PC Monitor right out the box. They didn't specify whether it would be VGA or DVI, however, but it would most likely by VGA. Won't this system be retro-compatible with Gamecube games? If so, then it's time to party!

Aidan

Darn! DVI would have been so much better! :) All these HDTV sets that can handle DVI, and no-one makes a console that can deal with it.  Actually, I'm not sure what's the best HDTV interconnect. HDTVs are rather hard to come by in the UK.

No idea on the backwards compatibility - that doesn't really seem to have been one of Nintendo's strong points in the past.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

grey

If going digital, dvi-i would be nice (since you could split that into VGA easily).  Hopefully won't be dvi-d or hdmi since dvi-d would necessitate a $400 or so convertor to convert from digital to analog, and hdmi is basically dvi-d only with support for hdcp (which is evil).

That said, they'd better blooming well have some standard analogue connectors too, though if it's like the past couple of consoles with traditional RGB, it'll still be a pita.  Figures that Nintendo has at least managed to use the same connector on the past three consoles, but they all suck as shipped. ;)

Aidan

DVI-I makes the most sense, as the analog RGB is already present, AND you can provide DVI-D (with or without encryption). Of course, this is Nintendo we're talking about, so who knows what they've done? They'll probably provide some kind of propriatory 'digital video' connector again...

Richter X

If they do add a VGA connector, they should also add a headphone port with a volume control so you could plug in your PC speakers or headphones.

Vertigo

Quotethe analog RGB is already present
Until I'm holding it in my hands and plug it into my TV and the RGB icon appears under A/V in the top left, I'm not believing anything I read ;)

atom

Man, I did not know any info was being released. IM SO DARN INTERESTED! Better hit google...
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Martin

The day Nintendo Europe gets anything right is the day I'll eat my hat.
[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']barenakedladies[/font][/span]

Aidan

That might be the day that they start to win back market share too, but I'm not going to hold my breath!

atom

After lookin over some articles, the system sounds pretty good so far. Their are three things they need to do to win market share back though. Full sized DVD mediums, built in network adapters, and ditching the color purple. The backwards compat with Gamecube and actually making 3rd party relations is such a good step for Nintendo.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Adeptus