Gamecube boot-up sound (?)

Started by Guest_NeoBahamut, July 28, 2004, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guest_NeoBahamut

Hello

I�ve had my Gamecube for a couple of years now and everything�s been smooth and nice with it. However, just recently I�m hearing strange sounds when booting up the system. It won�t start unless the lid is closed (it happens only right after that, or when the power button is pushed, and then no more during playtime) and it sounds like a small motor, which most likely gets us the laser motor, right? It seems as if it�s going two distances and then starts reading the disc. Usually the laser only goes small distances and make small pitched sounds, but this is more like a long murmur. Heh, maybe I�m paranoid, but I�m pretty sure I haven�t heard it before.. Should I worry?

Your source of irrelevant questions,
Jon

atom

The defective gamecube i bought from Sam Goody made a light beeping type noise when booting up, then went to an error screen. I cant tell you about a murmur. Do you have a gamebit? I would make sure your fans and cd drive are clean.

Other then that, start saving up for a new one. Hey, consider yourself lucky, broken gamecubes are super rare.
forgive my broked english, for I am an AMERICAN

Vertigo

The light beeping noise you're hearing is the machine reading the boot code on the disc.
If you listen closely to your PS it does the same thing but in a lower pitch. Most disc systems have an audible boot recognition, I believe this is because it's an audio track, most of the time.
My GC works fine and does the light beep and also the motor spin-up sound.
Other than those two things, your GC sounds fucked.

bcforn64

The Dreamcast also has an audible bootup beep, pretty loud too. I have EL Wire in my DC and upon boot the recognition causes the lights to temperarily flash off, pretty cool load up, if I do say so myself.  B)

NFG

QuoteThe Dreamcast also has an audible bootup beep
Isn't this the VMU saying "My battery's dead, yo!"?

Endymion

If you hear a beep coming from the VMU, yeah that's what it means. But there is a very audible beep that comes from the unit itself, I got to know it well for switching games to VGA mode. :)