News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

PS2 problems

Started by caphynehy, July 27, 2004, 10:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caphynehy

Ok, so this guy said he was getting DREs with his PS2. I figured "hey, an easy fix" and told him to give it to me. So now I have it, and it turns out he doesn't know what a disc read error is... but there's still a problem. When I first tested the system, it went into the browser and showed that a PS2 game was inserted. When I tried to go into the game, the screen went black and then went back to the browser. After cleaning the system, it loads the game, but after an excruciating wait. Also, when the game loads, some graphics are missing (the name license plates in True Crime). It's like there is a problem with the processor, or some part of the mainboard. Does anybody know how to fix this? I wanted to get some input before I swap parts around. Also, does anyone know how compatible the parts are between versions? I have three PS2s and I need to end up with two functional ones. I have the one mentioned above which is a 30001 R model, a 30001 model with a broken drive, and another one I ordered off ebay that I haven't received yet.
The closer you get to the light, the greater your shadow becomes.

Arakon

typical ps2 behavior.. the laser unit is a cheap piece of shit and fails very regulary.

caphynehy

Agreed, the PS2 does seem to fail regularly. But this problem isn't the laser. The whole drive works fine. Inside the system the heat shield and stuff are blackened, like it got really hot. Perhaps a chip got fried? Could a power surge do that?

By the way, my PS2 works great. I got it two years ago off my friend for a gamecube. I cleaned the laser because it was getting DREs, and I haven't had the problem again.
The closer you get to the light, the greater your shadow becomes.