Snes / Megadrive Pad > Usb?

Started by EmuChicken, July 15, 2004, 01:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmuChicken

I got interested in reading all these mods, I've done only the afterburner mod into my GBA, ... however I'm just wanting to know if there are any guides in converting a megadrive *genesis / snes pad to USB?

I'm mostly interested in the SNES pad as they're really easy to get, and it'd be just really old sk00l playing snes emulator with a snes pad :)   -- plus theyre really cheap to buy :D

Anyone got any links to any topics helping me with this?  Can it be done by a simple rewiring of the plug at the end of the pad?

NFG

The Saturn USB mod is as detailed a guide as I've ever done, and as I'm ever likely to do.  There's enough information there to modify any pad, SNES, MD, whatever.  You're unlikely to get anything simpler around here.

EmuChicken

ok, so I should checkout the layouts of the wire stuffs coming out (ie snes pad wire  layout stuffs) and then attach a usb lead?

Isnt the Saturn > usb pad mostly cheating tho?  ie buying a similar pad and swapping round stuff?

Sorry just a bit confused at how I would do a simple snes > usb pad :-)  A few steps of what to do would be fine (dont need a guide) ... just a simple, check this bit and then that bit and then attach stuffs

NFG

I don't know what you mean by 'cheating', I don't personally see a difference between lopping the end off a cable and replacing it with a new one, and swapping the guts of one to fit in another.  ;)

Quoteso I should checkout the layouts of the wire stuffs
You should have done your checking before you started asking questions.  =P

Adeptus

Check out http://www.sealiecomputing.com/retrozone/
They have kits to convert old pads (SNES & others), and pre-modded ones.

Adeptus

Also http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/hemphacker/ has schematics (but no code?) for a PIC-based NES/SNES/VirtualBoy to USB convertor.
He's planning on adding support for as many other controllers as possible, but the site hasn't been updated since February.

EmuChicken

Thanks for the help Adeptus, exactly what I wanted to know :-)  Appreciated lots!  :P

I should have known not to mention anything on this board as I've seen Lawrence slating off people without reason, the internets full of arseholes eh? :)

NFG

Quoteshould have known not to mention anything on this board as I've seen Lawrence slating off people without reason, the internets full of arseholes eh?
I think I've just been insulted.

And just so we're clear, anyone who thinks I'm evil without cause is exactly the kind of person I don't want around here.  Those who have brains that work know the truth.

Aidan

Most of the USB joypads are nothing more than a microcontroller (like PIC) with a USB interface. Given that USB has a HID profile that can be used for many things (like joysticks!!), it should be possible to throw together some basic code that will act as a 'foundation'. All the extra joystick stuff could then be layered on top, so the chip could support various different types of joysticks.

I've looked inside one or two adapters for PS joypad -> USB, and that's all they've really been.

The old school 'atari' type joysticks with no intelligence are the easiest to deal with.
[ Not an authoritive source of information. ]

Adeptus

QuoteMost of the USB joypads are nothing more than a microcontroller (like PIC) with a USB interface. Given that USB has a HID profile that can be used for many things (like joysticks!!), it should be possible to throw together some basic code that will act as a 'foundation'. All the extra joystick stuff could then be layered on top, so the chip could support various different types of joysticks.
This is what HempHacker is doing (see my previous post). If you look at that link, he is aiming to add compatibility for as many different sticks as possible.

Aidan

Indeed. However, it feels a little like the project may have been abandoned. Shame that there's no code there, as I have a PIC programmer!

EmuChicken

QuoteAnd just so we're clear, anyone who thinks I'm evil without cause is exactly the kind of person I don't want around here. Those who have brains that work know the truth.

What?  So you dont read books, you just work everything out yourself?  I've seen many novices being insulted on this forum by you, doing exactly the same thing as I did.  All I wanted was an idea of how simple it was to create USB pads by modding a SNES pad, and I got the information needed from a website link (thanks btw), and it doesnt look as simple as I intended (using chips and need to program them), however I have now an idea how to mod it using parallel and using the gameport.  >  Ah and on top of that theres them kits with already programmed chips so I guess I'll try it that way  :D

Aidan, do you think that it would be possible to pull apart a ps2 usb pad converter and reconnect it to some snes ports?

Lawrence, basically all I wanted was some helpful advice but got wanked in the face by the webmaster

ta everyone else  :rolleyes:  

Aidan

The PS2 joypads use a completely different protocol to the SNES pads. From what I can remember, the SNES pads just basically clocked the data out one bit at a time. The PS2 pads have a little intelligence, so can accept and send data/commands.

That means the PS2 joypad to USB converters can only deal with PS2 joypads. It's the same chip that reads the PS2 joypad as responds to the USB requests.

NFG

This pisses me off no end.  

QuoteWhat? So you dont read books, you just work everything out yourself?
Damn straight, I've learned everything from beating my head against it and opening shit up and poking at it myself.  I don't ask questions until I've tried and failed (It's worth repeating:  tried and failed first!) and then I ask only enough to get me started on the next round of research.  I won't tolerate anything else, if you're too lazy to do what work you can, I'm too f**king lazy to help you!

QuoteLawrence, basically all I wanted was some helpful advice but got wanked in the face by the webmaster
If you'd be kind enough to tell me where, exactly, I wanked you in the face I'd be kind enough to tell you where you're mistaken.

Remember, it's this simple: I'll help you if you do a modicum of your own work first.  Neither I, nor the fine people of this forum, are replacements for applying your own brain.

Endymion

I hate to say it--no wait I love to say it--but Lawrence is right EmuChicken. You haven't been insulted, wanked on, or even given a mild tutting for your technical questions here. You haven't even asked much in the way of a technical question, really. You told us you've seen chart a, but don't understand how to deal with controller b going from that.

To which I say, tough. Asking for information is one thing, you basically asked us to do it all for you. Everything you need to know is there. If it isn't good enough, do it and write your own walkthrough.