News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

VD-Z3

Started by TheAfu, July 11, 2004, 06:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheAfu

This company sells a product called the VD-Z3 which is a component to vga transcoder. I was wondering if anyone here used the product or has any thoughts about it.

benzaldehyde

TheAfu

Nice info in the review. While I know the transcoder will work wonders for pscan games its not why I wish to buy the product. Sounds odd but a few months back I purchased an rgb monitor capable of doing bothing interlaced and progressive scan games. The problem was I had no way to get an xbox or ps2 interlaced on the monitor without a transcoder. Hopefully and it seems this product will allow me to do so for about the same price I spent on the VGA cable I have for my cube.  

benzaldehyde

Sounds like a nice monitor. :) The PS2 and XBox output RGB natively in interlaced mode; you could try finding a lead and rewiring it to work with your monitor. Then, you wouldn't need any transcoding.

But, for the XBox and its plethora of progressive-scan games, you'd need a transcoder such as this as the XBox defeats RGB output in progressive mode (i.e. all you get is component video :( ).

RARusk

What monitor do you have TheAfu?
Console hacking is like sex. For best results you got to know where to poke.....

Endymion

QuoteThe PS2 and XBox output RGB natively in interlaced mode; you could try finding a lead and rewiring it to work with your monitor. Then, you wouldn't need any transcoding.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. If you want interlaced RGB why not just get a SCART cable for the console in question?

You can get SCART switchboxes--or SCART "boxes" that work without switches--like this 3 slot SCART switchbox or this 5 slot SCART box without switches, and modify it for your monitor, then just plug in SCART cables. One modification for the switchbox, and then you don't need to fiddle with each cable separately.

TheAfu

I have a mitsubishi AM-2752A and I use the 5 BNC pins for graphics.

The specs for input signals are ripped from a ebay auction

Input Signals: NTSC/PAL/SECAM composite video (automatic selection)analog RGB (sync on green, composite or seperate sync, analog sync), TTL RGB (CGA, EGA, etc.) monochrome TTL, Super VHS Inputs: 2 pair stereo RCA, external speaker outputs, composite video: Video1-BNC/SVHS 4 pin auto selecting Video2-BNC RGB Analog: 2 inputs 1 set of 5BNC's and 1 25-pin connector TTL: 9 pin Outputs: 1 pair stereo RCA Composite video: Video autput BNC RGB analog: 1 set of 5BNC's Power Requirements: 100-120 VAC or 220-240 VAC, 50/60Hz (switchable) Power Consumption (average): 400W.

If need be I could switch up to TTL RGB but I have no idea what it is or how it works. Reason for using the 5 bnc cables is because I bought the monitor originally to play cube games both interlaced and progressive scan. Now it doubles as a dvd player and console player. Odd thing is the specs for maximum resolution are wrong as 800x600 works fine. Then again I might be damaging the monitor but I have not noticed negative effects with using vga mode. Only thing that gets me about the monitor is slight burn in the image on the top right corner of the screen and that S-video is always scrunched for one reason or another. I'm buying the VD-Z3 as I have the equipment to do what I want.