News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Human68k translation

Started by megabyte1986, October 19, 2024, 08:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

megabyte1986

Hi all!

Using a hex editor I made a translation around 80% of all text strings of Human68k system disk. Also I translated some text messages of original X68000 ROM.

This is NOT a professional translation. I'm used Google Translate, and tried to shrink some messages, which doesn't fit into original strings size.

I think that system becomes more usable for non-japanese speaking people.

I have a future plans to translate system disk of SX-Window 3 and some of useful software.

Is it legal to share my images here? Or maybe some undefined guy should upload they to something like romhacking.net/archive.org etc?

z964

Sharp released this OS as public domain back in 2000.

Pretty sure you can do what you want.

Also - great work!

megabyte1986

Quote from: z964 on October 21, 2024, 04:38:56 AMas public domain back in 2000.
Not really.

http://retropc.net/x68000/software/sharp/license.htm

3) The User may not copy, analyze, or modify the Software Product in whole or in part.
      However, the results of such work must be distributed free of charge and not for commercial purposes.
      Any actions that result in such violation are prohibited.
      Any work that has been modified in whole or in part from this software product may not be distributed.
      or when released, the source code together with the object code (the modified work)
      must also be distributed or made public at the same time.

Absolutely mutually exclusive points :)

incrediblehark

Great work! I would use this myself but running huye's human patch right now so it might conflict with my system.

If you are worried about violating a policy what I would recommend is creating a patch and release it that way.

megabyte1986

Well, okay. Here is a full versions of translations.

I think there may be many typos or other errors. I would be grateful if somebody write to me about them in a private message or here in the answers.

neko68k

I did something like this ages ago for I think everything that comes on a human 3.02 disk (sorry I don't have it handy). You can, if you are a little persistent, disassemble, translate, and reassemble everything and not have to truncate your strings to fit in the binary.

I think that a bunch of it is multi-executable put together with a tool called BIND (the name escapes me a bit). I used that combined with DIS, HAS060 and HLK. The only one you need to be a little careful with is human.sys because there is sort of limited space for it in RAM. The memory map is in tachibana eriko's programmer documentation. All I remember offhand is that it gets placed at $6800 but I don't remember how much space is reserved for it.

TBH Sharp doesn't actually seem to care what you do, license be damned. The Japanese guys are doing stuff all the time. I think Sharp understands well at this point that if it wasn't for their efforts no one would even be using their machines at this point. If you're really sweating it you can release binary patches with BUP.

neko68k

Found it. TBH I don't remember what all I did and some of it is definitely a little iffy. I don't think I tested it thoroughly either. XBASIC is untranslated for sure.

Heres a link to the download.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/j2x61hnad84881pa2bw58/HUMAN302-English.XDF?rlkey=8iasrb04nj4mtob18lb31i7hk&st=lw15g69d&dl=1

It does look like the one tool is called BIND. It combines .X files into a single executable. I don't remember the details though. A build script looks kinda like this.

has060 cmd.dis -o cmd.o
hlk cmd.o -o cmd.x

has060 commando.dis -o commando.o
hlk commando.o -o commando.x

bind /o command.x cmd.x commando.x