News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

Started by megabyte1986, September 17, 2024, 09:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

megabyte1986

As a long time Amiga user I would like to ask.

Some of X68000 computers can be upgraded to 68040, or even to 68060 processor. That is very cool, but does x68k has any software to use/utilize power of this processors?

May be there are some hardcore DTP systems, graphic editors, C++ compiles and so on?

Why is 060 needed in this computer?

neko68k

There's hardly anything that supports 030 to begin with. I guess fast clock would get you fast compiles and maybe something like DoGA can use it for faster ray-tracing. You can run NetBSD, which is still kept up to date, if you're really into that. Even having done that in emulation I don't really see the point. There are some niche cases with doujin software that supports 040/060 high memory but not games and not anything likely to see any use outside of even rare Japanese users. One of the Japanese guys was doing an 060 update for my DooM port but it's unlikely to ever be finished or see public release and really that's not even close to worth it for getting first an 030 and then a very rare 040 or even rarer 060 board.

z964

There are those two FMV games - Thunderstorm and Road Blaster - which support the 060 for double the framerate.