News:

Forum Updated! 

Main Menu

X68000 Floppy Disk Formats

Started by megabyte1986, September 04, 2024, 08:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

megabyte1986

Hi all.

Recently I bought my first x68k machine. And I want to buy a Greaseweazle for writing floppies.

I downloaded a lot of sites and file archives, and now there are several floppy image formats - XDF, DIM, D88 and HDM.

Looks like that HDM and XDF are a raw disk images. But they have slightly different image size, why?

D88 look like a stripped image with removed unused tracks/sectors.

DIM is a raw image, but has 256 bytes header at the beginning.

So, I read that I should convert all of this formats to XDF for using with Greaseweazle. Is it right, do I need to do additional conversion different formant to XDF?

Thanks.

neko68k

I'm not sure all DIM's can be converted to XDF exactly. Some of them are 1.4MB 9 sector images (2HDE not 2HD). At least I guess you need to be aware of that.

TBH I write all my images on the real machine and just transfer them with MuTERM over the serial port to an HD but that's probably not ideal for everyone.

16bitgium

Hi,
I just got my greaseweazel a couple of days ago. It works great. Just need to convert the DIM to XDF with a little tool and burn the disk with the greaseweazel software. At first, I was using FluxEngine as this tutorial said it was necessary but it works perfectly fine with greaseweazel's software.
My floppy drive has developed some issues and it seems greaseweazel is better at handling (or ignoring) those over FluxEngine.
I've been creating my own bootlegs, lol.