GKA-AT68 issue or x68000 issue

Started by relo, February 24, 2024, 09:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

relo

recently gotten my first x68000 (Pro 2), I had to repair it as it missed a PSU and build one from a PicoPSU and modeled a 3D bracket for it. Also replaced the battery and recapped the machine for good measure. Outside of only having 1MB everything seemed to work perfectly but missing a keyboard.

So. I build a GKA-AT68 keyboard converter except it doesn't work but I'm not sure if it's the converter or the X68000 seeing as at this point I've build the converter multiple times with the same result. I've used this schematic.

To help troubleshoot I've added a red LED and 1.5k resistor on the 5V line. Use a 10Mhz Crystal, PIC16F84A, 27pf instead of 30 and BC547's rather than 2SC1815's. Which are all simply more common. All of which you'd expect to work properly in the circuit seeing as other circuits based on this one sometimes replace parts with these.

However I can't get the keyboard to do anything. On boot the power LED lights for about a second and the PIC LED shortly after but then they both power off and and then doesn't seem to do anything in the software I tried (Tetris, Salamander, Gradius and ChoRenCha).
Same thing happens on a reset. LED's shine for a second and then nothing.

Maybe the X68000 tries to look for a signal to see if a keyboard is attached and then turns off power to the keyboard port if it doesn't find anything? At least that's what I think is happening seeing as this even happens with no keyboard attached and only power going to the troubleshoot LED. Or I'm missing some jumper in the X68000?

At any rate I'm at a bit of a loss what might be the issue and would love some suggestions.

Edit: the issue was reversed pins on the connector. Apparently there are 2 different standards for 8 pin mini din numbering...

Wrong:

Correct: