Playing generic midi files

Started by armitage, February 17, 2024, 02:47:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armitage

Is there a way to play generic GM .mid files with either the built in YM chip or external synth? I saw a youtube video where someone was playing a file with a .mid extension in MMDSP but when I try, .mid files don't even show up in the list. I tried loading the mld driver beforehand as well but that didn't change anything.

armitage

Seems like someone figured out how to do this using the X68000Z but I don't see any mention of how to set up MMDSP or get it working on original hardware :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWJWgr9UV88

neko68k

I use MCDRV.

MCDRV folder

The driver and its tools are in here:
MCDRV 0.67

You can use MMDSP but MCDISP is a nicer experience for this in my opinion.
MCDISP 0.47

armitage

Quote from: neko68k on March 13, 2024, 03:19:26 PMI use MCDRV.

MCDRV folder

The driver and its tools are in here:
MCDRV 0.67

You can use MMDSP but MCDISP is a nicer experience for this in my opinion.
MCDISP 0.47

Awesome, thanks for that. I tried MCDRV and while it recognizes the slot my Midi card is in, whenever I launch MCDISP I get an Abort/Retry/Fail message. Same thing happens in MMDSP when I try and load a .mid file. It's displaying the files now at least, so that's progress! Any ideas?

neko68k

Not off the top of my head.

Can you post a photo of the error that goes with the A/R/F message?

armitage

Quote from: neko68k on March 14, 2024, 08:37:28 AMNot off the top of my head.

Can you post a photo of the error that goes with the A/R/F message?

This is what I get with both MMDSP and MCDISP but only when MCDRV is loaded:

armitage

Update: the problem seems to have something to do with running MMDSP / MCDISP that are on the X68000_SxSI-SCSI_v112 disk image. If I run the software from my own empty boot disk image everything works fine. I'm going to start with a fresh copy of the image just in case mine got corrupted somehow.

Update 2: A freshly unzipped image still exhibits the same problem.

Update 3: It has something to do with the PATH definition in the disk image. If I set it to just c:\ the issue clears up.

neko68k

Ah, weird. It's hard for me to judge on some of this stuff. I've been using my own setups for a long time.

Glad you got it figured out though!

armitage

Thanks for your help! I got it all working now, just had to remove a few entries from the path and update the MCDRV that came with the image as it was missing some helper binaries that prevented the MIDI file from loading (SMF2NDC.R).

Quote from: neko68k on March 14, 2024, 11:08:53 AMAh, weird. It's hard for me to judge on some of this stuff. I've been using my own setups for a long time.

Glad you got it figured out though!

incrediblehark

Nice! Glad you got it worked out. I'm going to add some midi files to my updated image and rework the folder. I think I have a different app on a disk that I was going to use but may give mmdsp another shot using your info here.

armitage

Quote from: incrediblehark on March 17, 2024, 02:32:29 AMNice! Glad you got it worked out. I'm going to add some midi files to my updated image and rework the folder. I think I have a different app on a disk that I was going to use but may give mmdsp another shot using your info here.

Awesome, that'll be cool! For what it's worth, I just had to extract the full MCDRV archive into c:\multimedia\music, load MCDRV, and then use MMDSP or MCDISP to play a .MID file. I didn't need to modify the PATH after all, it's just that when a: and b: are in the default path, any command you type or program that looks for a file that isn't in the current working directory causes the abort/retry/ignore error to pop up which was a bit of a red herring.

incrediblehark

I moved all drivers to the MMDSP folder and set my path to that and I noticed when playing files in other folders it would not playback / convert properly. That is working now, but I think I'm going to set the .BAT to have selections for what you would like to listen to (MDX, MIDI, etc) and load the appropriate drivers. Some of my midi files like .MID will playback with MCDRV, but others like .SNG I need to use another driver like RCD