USKCGM.X Questions

Started by incrediblehark, December 23, 2023, 12:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

incrediblehark

The application USKCGM.X can be used to edit the content of USKCG.SYS - but it can also be used to reload USKCG.SYS into system RAM. Well what point would I need to do this? There is at least one game I am aware of (Larjis) that uses a custom character set loaded at boot. I can manually load this file with USKCGM.X (L, then Enter) but what I would like is a way to load the selected file upon execution of USKCGM.X For example:

USKCGM -L USKCG.SYS

But there doesn't appear to be any arguments to support this. Does anyone know of an alternative way to load the file into memory after boot?

neko68k

I do it with HIOCS. If you pass the -F flag followed by the path to the FON file it should do it. I have a bunch of fonts somewhere I can probably share.

incrediblehark

Awesome, thanks for the help! I'll try this out

incrediblehark

Hmm... with Larjis the font is stored as a USKCG.SYS file, is there a way to convert it to a .FON file? renaming didn't work as well as loading the .SYS with HIOCS.

neko68k

Ah hm, I'm not sure. It's probably possible to extract the font data from it somehow or to pull the data from RAM after its loaded. I'll have to think about it.

Alternatively there is some software to add/remove DEVICE= config.sys type things from the command line. I can't remember the name. It might be on the v4 games disk.

incrediblehark

I know of ADDDRV but it doesn't work for this instance