Building a NES rom dumper, any sites?

Started by Tom61, June 28, 2004, 11:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom61

My memory must be going, I seem to remember such sites being quite easy to find, but after an hour of Google searching I've not been able to find. 'NES rom dumper', 'nintendo rom dumper' 'nes rom ripper'.... All turn up nothing usefull (adding 'build' to each didn't help either).

Anybody know of any sites about building a rom dumper for NES games? Even an old link I could feed to waybackmachine.org would be usefull.

gannon

If I remember right, this is something that is prohibited to even speak of on these boards, even if it's meant for good purposes like getting nice .nsf files off of the games. :)  
Here is my site, it has a few mods, mostly to do with portablization.

NFG

This is a grey area for me, dumping roms you own is a worthwhile goal, IMO, especially if you're in possession of rare or prototype games.  Archiving our heritage is a good idea.  The converse is not as true, I'm far less likely to tolerate people wanting to put their roms on  rewritable carts for the purpose of play.  As far as I'm concerned if you do not own the game you should not play it.  ROMs are for archival, education, research.  

Lots of loopholes and exceptions of course, and I'm sure this is an topic with a lot of dissenting opinions.  =)

That said I've never tried to dump NES carts, I doubt any one of us owns a cart that's not already dumped with a ROM you can easily download somewhere.

gannon

ooo...tricky rule system...
Anyways, here is a site that shows a nes dumping system.
I've gotta say that Kevin Horton does some amazing stuff with the nes.

Tom61

Cool. Thanks. So that's how you get around the different mappers, use the Nintendo itself.

Interesting thing I found during my futile search:
http://mypage.direct.ca/c/ccovell/nesdev.html

gannon

Oh yeah, I suppose this one would work too. It works with nes, gb, and snes.
http://www.ziegler.desaign.de/io56.htm

Tom61

Interesting... Doesn't seem to include the wiring diagrams for the cart to IO-56 on the page though.