SxSI-SCSI HDD Image v2.20

Started by incrediblehark, June 16, 2023, 01:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you like the next release to be sorted by genre instead of alphabetically?

Yes
9 (69.2%)
No
4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: September 27, 2023, 12:33:41 AM

aotta

Quote from: bleepbloop on December 01, 2023, 04:54:57 PMI only tried a few games so far but they all worked except for Salamander.

Try starting game with Q+Q key, not launching !start.bat ;)

bleepbloop

Quote from: incrediblehark on December 02, 2023, 06:39:45 AMGlad you're enjoying it so far! Let me know if you need any more help, but I am nearing the end of my latest release so you may want to try it out when I make it available if you're still having trouble.

Sounds great, thank you!

Quote from: aotta on December 02, 2023, 08:29:00 PMTry starting game with Q+Q key, not launching !start.bat ;)

Thank you for the suggestion. However I'm not sure what the Q+Q key is. I was looking at a picture of a X68k keyboard and I don't see a key with Q+Q on it. I'm currently using a US keyboard going through an adapter into the X68k so I'm not sure if that matters.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong keyboard?

This is the picture I was looking at:
https://imgur.com/a/AaxSStD#QxhWlNu

HIggy

@bleepbloop you will kick yourself.

Q + Q = Press Q, then press Q again.

bleepbloop

Quote from: HIggy on December 04, 2023, 02:43:59 AM@bleepbloop you will kick yourself.

Q + Q = Press Q, then press Q again.

Oh haha. I didn't realize the Q key actually had any functionality in the menu area so I don't feel too bad about that. Is there any documentation on what the Q key is actually doing? I'm curious what it's actually doing differently than just using !start.bat.

Thank you for that!

incrediblehark

Yes, it is a feature of LHES, Q brings up the option screen to exit LHES, Q again confirms it. When you quit LHES it looks for a file in the current folder named !Start.bat, if it finds one it executes it immediately.

I have a mini user guide typed up in that will be in my latest release. Making good progress and hope to have it out this week. Taking any suggestions for content to add!

bleepbloop

Quote from: incrediblehark on December 04, 2023, 10:02:26 AMYes, it is a feature of LHES, Q brings up the option screen to exit LHES, Q again confirms it. When you quit LHES it looks for a file in the current folder named !Start.bat, if it finds one it executes it immediately.

I have a mini user guide typed up in that will be in my latest release. Making good progress and hope to have it out this week. Taking any suggestions for content to add!

Interesting. I had no idea about that. I'm excited to see if that works.

I made my own image at one point because there's still a bunch of games that I'd like to try that I haven't seen on any other image but I had difficulty getting several of them to run. Hopefully the 'Q' method will get some of those working.

I think the ultimate setup I would try for one day would be just to have a few 3GB images on several flash drives so I just swap out to a different flash drive depending on what I'm in the mood to play.

A user guide would be perfect for somebody like me who is very interested but knows very little overall about the system.

Thank you again!

HIggy

@incrediblehark not sure how much space they take up, but there was a load of BMW pictures if you need to save space.
BMW M Series cars are nice, but there is a lot of pic of them!

How about some MIDI tunes? DOS PC games collection like Monkey Island 2 etc and maybe some normal MIDI tunes?
The files are quite small.

I don't know if the included Music player does MIDI?

Thanks

Sugo77

incrediblehark, hello man again!
Read please in free time, i think only you are can help with run this game on HDD!
This not Mega Lo Mania... Mega Lo Mania i solved with how run on HDD...
This much more harder!... ( Harder in 100 times... But, i guess anyway this possible, i belive in it... )
https://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=7280.0
Tester

FLEABttn

Does Space Harrier work for anyone else in this release or no? Won't load for me at all. Have an XVI with 8 MB RAM, no expansion cards.

Sugo77

Tester

Sugo77

Btw, when downloaded your X68000_SxSI-SCSI_v112.hds found in your "Readme" next:
"Note to SCSI2SD users: Make sure your SCSSI2SD device is configured for 3GB."
I not sure, what my configured supports HDD ( .HDS ) on 3GB, what to this need?(For support HDD on 3 GB)
Tester

incrediblehark

That is only for SCSI2SD users on actual hardware. If using emulation you should be all set.

Sugo77

incrediblehark, aha, and wow!
Great work man!
I already tested some games(1, 2, and began ofcourse from Sailor Moon! Heh, this is adventure -platformer game and this cool!) from yyour collection on your HDD ( .HDS ), all work fine and this cool!

Btw, after spended time, anyway i found by myself this information:
1.:
Using hard drives which are larger than 1GB
https://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=x68000:using_hard_drives_which_are_larger_than_1gb#using_goverhd
2.:
Any guide for GOVERHD?
https://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5699.0

Btw, just for future, and just for collection of different files, where i can download this utlity GOVERHD? About which they was talking...
Tester

Sugo77

Quote from: incrediblehark on December 08, 2023, 09:40:17 PMThat is only for SCSI2SD users on actual hardware. If using emulation you should be all set.
incrediblehark, btw, about this...
3 Questions:
1.: In emulators of Sharp x68000 which can be max size of HDD ( .HDS ) , 3 or 4 GB, i found some messages, that HDD ( .HDS ) can be 4 GB?
2.: And this HDD's ( .HDS ) 3-4 GB's wll be support and work in emultors?
3.: 4 Gb - limit?

P.S.:
About GOVERHD...
After spended time, I found it here...
http://retropc.net/x68000/software/disk/scsi/goverhd/

But, 3 questions about sizes and limits of supporings HDD ( .HDS ) still actuall... Need to know for knwdges to future...

P.S.S.:
Also i downloaded all drivers, files, utilities, etc from different companies, authors, etc from this pages:
http://retropc.net/x68000/person/kamada_makoto.htm
http://retropc.net/x68000/software/disk/scsi/scsitai/
http://retropc.net/x68000/software/
http://retropc.net/x68000/

I even do not know what this files(Just not read - not translated information, not to need on this moment, not in priority), drivers, etc, main what this from or for Sharp x68000, just for future... heh... Today sites - work, tommorow - no, and sometime, when you are working with something old, and when something need, when for example you are got some problems, for example with some files or if you are not have some of needed files-drivers, drivers and you are not ave this, and after sites after time down, you are can't found this for running something... So, better save and have, than not have in future, heh
Tester

incrediblehark

Huge update to 2.00 - check original post for details on changes and download link. As always, any feedback is welcome.

Enjoy!

Sugo77

Checked.

Sorted categories by generes of games always good!
I also was want to do same on my HDD Image with SX-Window, because when many games on it, you are sometimes confuse or forgot or not know for example if you are first time see this or other game whch genre this or other game!...
It's convenient and useful!

Good work and collection!
Tester

aotta

What a nice X-Mas gift! i'm actually copying v.2 in the SDcard! ;)
Just a comment about the 3gb size limit: i use to "chain" two or more HD in my sdcard (i.e. HD00_512 and HD10_512) and the second image are available as logical drive E & F. I have to change some assignment to run games from the second HD but it works fine and i can handle more and more games....
This works fine in my Ardscsino, Bluescsi V1 and Bluescsi V2, i don't know about other HD emulator, but i wonder if you are planning a "Volume II" with other games that's way!

added:
first comment after few minutes in testing... impressive!!!! your readmes are very accurate guides, and... i love your splashscreen!!! (i immediatly switched to boot screen without help message)
Really an incredible works, thank you again and my compliments!!!

Max

Hi mates, I am testing the v.2.0 and I don't know what it is going wrong, I might be mistaken  I usually load my V.4 image on sd successfully using the  SCSSI2SD device so I just replaced my old sd with this one just made with 2.00 but It won't start...I read all the info maybe I do not know if my device is configured for 3GB how can I check it out? My scsi hd is set to 0

I displays " disk is not inserted. Please insert." it has never happened to me and once I put my old sd once again it boots immediately. Pls help me out there.

Cheers

incrediblehark

In scsi2sd utility on your pc you have device size set to 3gb? How are you flashing the image to your sd card?

Here is a message I sent to another user a few months back. You need to flash your actual scsi2sd to be set for 3gb. Use the scsi2sdutil for pc/mac:

Quote from: incrediblehark on October 10, 2023, 05:53:25 AMok just sending a follow up, if you connect your scsi2sd to a pc/mac and run the utility software you'll get a screen like this: (not my screenshot)

Don't use these exact settings above! This is just an example. Do you see the section for "device size?" That is what you want to change to 3GB. Leave all of your other settings the same as they were, and then update the device. It will flash the settings to your scsi2sd and then the 3gb image should work. Let me know if you need any other help with this.

Also @aotta - thanks for the feedback! Glad you are enjoying the update. I'm interested in your idea of chaining .hds images, I may look into it for the future. Right now I still have over 100MB free to use in C:\GamesOverflow to add games to.

Max

I have never connected the scsi2sd to my pc before so I'll try since I just used it plug and play through the 50 pin port.....anyway I'll do and test it....where can I get the utility?
tks for the heads-up, I'll be back soon....
to flash yr image I used Win32DiskImager and changed to .ima as written in the guide.

Ps: my X68k is a Pro II with 4mb

3rdman01

Quote from: Max on December 26, 2023, 05:45:20 AMI have never connected the scsi2sd to my pc before so I'll try since I just used it plug and play through the 50 pin port.....anyway I'll do and test it....where can I get the utility?
tks for the heads-up, I'll be back soon....
to flash yr image I used Win32DiskImager and changed to .ima as written in the guide.
You can get it here but make sure you get the version related to your version of the device.
https://docs.scsi2sd.com/
For what its worth, I had to change my ID to "3" before it would work if my memory serves me right. Good luck!

In never knew about changing the HDD image suffix...I too use Win32DiskImager and simply point to the raw HDS file and it copies over fine.

EIDT: Thank you incredibleshark! This is wonderful...I love how the bigger folders are broken down into sub genres...I'll be exploring this a lot more later tonight...Merry Xmas indeed! Thank you!

Max

I bought my SCSI2SD in 2017 so It seems I should choose the first one on the top taht is for version 5.0, 5.1, and 5.2 hardware ,what do you think about?..I just don't want to corrupt it anyways....
ths again you are kind to me....I'll then test it tomorrow with calm

HIggy

@incrediblehark great work and thanks for the update. Much appreciated adding the Readme. Game folder setup is much better than previous A-Z. And sub folders is also great.

@aotta interesting info about linking HD images and it sounds like there is good compatibility across the new SCSI devices like BlueSCSI.

Max

AWESOME!!! actually thanks a lot  incrediblehark for this fabulous image! also thanks to 3rdman01 for the tip...
now to keep up testing and share the pthers too, pls just tell me one or two "hard " games to load so I can test them all and know def if my 4mb ram is enough....

Cheers

incrediblehark

Any that run from 2hdboot may give you trouble, thankfully there aren't that many left on the image. Valis ii is minimum 8mb I believe, that's the largest 2hdboot game installed

Max

Quote from: incrediblehark on December 27, 2023, 07:31:45 AMAny that run from 2hdboot may give you trouble, thankfully there aren't that many left on the image. Valis ii is minimum 8mb I believe, that's the largest 2hdboot game installed

ok, I'll test them...
thx

ateam

Quote from: incrediblehark on December 25, 2023, 11:09:22 AMHuge update to 2.00 - check original post for details on changes and download link. As always, any feedback is welcome.

Enjoy!

Excellent work! I've only had a little while to play around with the new image, but so far it seems fantastic.

Thank you.

FLEABttn

Aquales seems to check the first disk drive after beating the first boss and won't continue and gives an error screen that rougly translates to "I can't start from the disk, please insert the correct disk".

I have 8MB in my XVI and that doesn't seem to be enough for Valis II.

incrediblehark

Thank you for reporting the issues, I'll look into aquales - probably a mis-assigned disk and change note for valis ii ram requirement

aotta

i'm going to test Valis II with my 10mb cz-600, as soon i'll find the game in the directory tree...
And i'm pretty sure there is a "search" function in LHES but i don't know how to use it! LOL

edited:
Ok, just found (i don't know why i expected it on "platform"...) but got an error and reset request even with 10mb!

X-Col

Quote from: FLEABttn on January 01, 2024, 12:09:51 PMAquales seems to check the first disk drive after beating the first boss and won't continue and gives an error screen that rougly translates to "I can't start from the disk, please insert the correct disk".

I have never been able to get Aquales to run correctly from HD unfortunately. One of the ones I have to run from either Floppy or FDX68.

@incrediblehark
Fantastic progress on the HD image, both myself and my X68000's thank you :-)
Very professional and user friendly, incredible!! ;-)

ateam

My Expert has 10MB of RAM and my XVI has 12MB of RAM, and both work fine with Valis II. It may be a 10MB+ requirement.

HIggy

Hi,

Just to say Valis II seems to work ok on my CZ-600 with 2mb+8mb. I played the intro, then in game I got to the 2nd screen.
@aotta have you run memory test on your setup?

aotta

Quote from: HIggy on January 03, 2024, 04:09:15 AMHi,

Just to say Valis II seems to work ok on my CZ-600 with 2mb+8mb. I played the intro, then in game I got to the 2nd screen.
@aotta have you run memory test on your setup?
Yes i ran the mem68k test but some time ago... and i have same ram config than yours, so i'll double check it.
And you tested the last V2.00 version, right? i asked this becouse i'm sure i played with Valis II, but i don't remind if it was booting from HxC, or with the other X68000 (Expert)

quick edited:
found the issue i got: since i use my external floppy adapter, i switched the original floppy drives to id 2 & 3.
And, noticed that before splash screen the games check (i suppose for some protection schema) the floppy, if it not found a valid drive the games halts with error.
Simply by plugging the drive 0 & 1 i got Valis II working with my 10mb CZ600 setup!
Sorry for my mistake

alessiman

Is anyone running this image on a ZuluSCSI? 

From what i can tell i need to convert the HDS to a HDA file but can't find any way to do this

Jehuty

I tried it in BlueSCSI and in Emulation. Both doesn´t work, but did in SD2SCSI.

rezb1t

Quote from: alessiman on January 08, 2024, 08:42:49 AMIs anyone running this image on a ZuluSCSI? 

From what i can tell i need to convert the HDS to a HDA file but can't find any way to do this
Yes I am, all I had to do was rename the hds file to HD0.hda and it worked

bleepbloop

Just dropped in to grab the update. Thank you so much @incrediblehark !!

This is awesome!

laserolame

Your image is awesome! Thanks a lot @incrediblehark !
I spent a lot of time on my X68000 now to (re)discover games.
That would be good to add Virgin Angel in the next update :).

soviet

Hi having an issue here booting the image.
My config is x68000 ace hd 6 megs ram.
Using a zuluscsi via sasi-scsi cable already setup the ipl scsi booter form the masterdisk in the faq.
For the HDS file renamed it as HD1_512.hda.hds.

And in my zuluconfig have set:
System="X68000"
Debug = 1   # Same effect as DIPSW2, enables verbose log messages
EnableParity = 0 # Enable parity checks on platforms that support it (RP2040)
The system boots fine and start the autoexec.bat.
But after a few seconds got the error on screen "Disk not inserted. Please Insert (abort,retry,ignore)".

If i break the boot process got a brake out of the autoexec.bat and drops me at the prompt E:
Doing a dir shows a lot files so the drive is showing up but if I try to change to C: got the same error (Disk not inserted...).

This is a video showing the problem:

zuluscsi log:
https://mega.nz/file/V09BiBpB#aBfpBxo7PJTbEanLocsccCIGcukSHiHuF2k5qu0b9GU