SpellSort for ODE users

Started by famiac, March 21, 2023, 01:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

famiac

I wrote a Python script to organize disc images on an SD card for people who use Wizard/DocBrown.
It's called SpellSort, and it will hunt your disc images down wherever they are, because order is what it craves.

you can grab it from github.

if you have comments or suggestions, please do share and i'll be happy to incorporate them.

UnbornApple

Sadly I missed the last round of orders, but if I get one I will definitely use this!

ateam

Quote from: famiac on March 21, 2023, 01:26:24 PMI wrote a Python script to organize disc images on an SD card for people who use Wizard/DocBrown. It's called SpellSort, and it will hunt your disc images down wherever they are because order is what it craves above all.

you can grab it from github. if you have comments or suggestions, please do share and i'll be happy to incorporate them.

How funny, I literally just wrote my own version of this yesterday.  It's essentially identical to yours in almost every conceivable way, haha.

I actually just created the GitHub repository for it, but haven't made it public yet as I'm still working on the README.

In any event, great work!  Thanks for sharing.

(EDIT: For anyone who wants to take a peek: https://github.com/DerekPascarella/DocBrown-Wizard-Sorter)

famiac

nice. i like the verbose output on your script. i think spellsort is a little bit more of a nuclear option insofar as it hunts down the disc images and generates everything, whereas your sorting program asks the user to write the titles manually and put the games in individual folders.

ateam

Quote from: famiac on April 05, 2023, 07:24:15 AMnice. i like the verbose output on your script. i think spellsort is a little bit more of a nuclear option insofar as it hunts down the disc images and generates everything, whereas your sorting program asks the user to write the titles manually and put the games in individual folders.

Thanks =)

However, my utility does not require you write a Title.txt file. As the readme explains, folder names will be used as the game title if Title.txt isn't present. I suppose that could've been what you meant by "manual" though? Although, the game title does have to come from somewhere.

Alternatively, I assume yours literally just looks for disc images (ISO, BIN, CCD/IMG/SUB, etc) no matter what the folder structure looks like, and then sorts and moves as needed?

I also see you use the base filename of each discovered disc image as its title, which is a good approach. I suppose I defaulted to my typical workflow, where I download ZIPs from the archive, then extract to their own individual folders. From there, renaming those folders to meet what I want reflected in the menu listing made the most sense to me.

At the end of the day, it's great we have options!

famiac

Quote from: ateam on April 05, 2023, 10:13:23 AMI assume yours literally just looks for disc images (ISO, BIN, CCD/IMG/SUB, etc) no matter what the folder structure looks like, and then sorts and moves as needed?

I also see you use the base filename of each discovered disc image as its title

yep!